Norfolk Broads

The Flying Tench

There was an intersting TV programme today which told how the clear water and good fish life of yesteryear had been destroyed by de-oxidisation by nitrates, though it said a programme of improvement which would take many decades had begun.

But it said there was ONE BROAD where this hadn't happened, and you saw wonderful shots of fish in ultra clear water. Does anyone know which is the ONE BROAD?

john clarke

Yes! And there is now one more! As for the one that you question, it is open to limited piking. A number of comments were made in the programme that suggest it is a year or three old.

[ 24. October 2004, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Very interesting programme indeed, especially the underwater shots of pike, that is something i have hardly ever seen.

Some of the information given has completely flumoxed (i love that word) me.

I always thought a bit of colour in the water was a good thing and in my experience usually is, but this programme says otherwise.

Fly like a mouse

Run like a cushion

Be the small bookcase!!

I think it depends what is causing the colour. I understood from the programme that the nitrates caused the single cell animals to increase which as well as cutting down the sun light that reached the plants also had the effect of de oxygnating the water as being animals they need oxygen and took it from the water. quite a problem and shows that the contryside causes pollution to waterways more than to towns and citys. the regents canal near my office in bthnal green seems to be getting clearer over recent years and there are plenty of tench roach and pike which seems to be a good indicator of water quality.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/