Matt Hayes Multi Float Rod Review

Jason

I bought this nearly new Total Fishing Gear, Matt Hayes, 13ft, Multi Float rod from forum member BUDGIE a few months ago.

And I have been mainly been using this rod when I have been fishing.

On this rod I have caught, Roach, Dace, Gudgeon, Perch, Bream, 1x Carp and 1x Pike that ate my roach...

It is a smooth progressive rod with a light crisp tip. Matte Black finish with blue highlights. Cork rod butt with fuji reel grips. It is very responsive and supple for fish down to 6oz, yet can handle 5lb bream and 1x 6lb pike, It has good strong guides, well spaced out and of a high quality.

The downside is that it is unbalanced. I will mainly put this down to the length, but when comparing it to the Drennan range that I own is is a little bit tip heavy. For me, this is not at all a problem as the rod is on the rod rest when fishing.

RRP prices are £ 49.99, IMO it should be £79.99.

The quality is high and there is only one blank spots in the rod bend that I can see, a nice clean mellow progression that really comes in to effect when playing fish over 2lbs, giving you more control.

Ive not seen many Multi Floats in shops, but for the money, What a Specimen Hunting Tool.

post-22990-1319913558_thumb.jpg

post-22990-1319913588_thumb.jpg

post-22990-1319913603_thumb.jpg

post-22990-1319913621_thumb.jpg

Jason

Edited by Terracan Jas

06 Jaguar S Type 2.7 Twin Turbo V6D.

2012 Fish: Roach, Dace, Gudgeon, Perch, Eel, Bream/Roach Hybrid. Bream, Silver Bream, Carp, Pike.

Jas Uses: Drennan Rods, TFG Rods, Shimano Reels, Okuma Reels, 4lb & 3lb Maxima chameleon line, Drennan Double Strength 6lb line, Drennan Hooks to nylon 2lb to size 20 barbless & 1lb 10oz to size 22 barbless., Mustad hooks to nylon 3lb to size 16 barbless * 2lb 10oz to size 18 barbless, Drennan floats, Premier Floats, Middy Floats, Uni Floats, Camo Shot, Anchor Shot, Drennan & Middy Open Ended & Closed ended feeders, Unbranded ledger weights, Shakespeare seat boxes, Fox Tents and Luggage. Team Shakespeare Umbrellas And much, much more.

• 5 months later...

I just thought I would give an update on this rod for those considering buying one new or second hand.

6 Months on, 5lb of gudgeon, 5lb of dace, 20lb of roach, 30lb of perch, and a bundle of smaller tench and bream later and its still IMO a cracking rod. Smooth action and a joy to fish with. The soft satin finish still looks sweet, shining away in the sunlight. The quality in finish has not diminished after a hard winter of windy, wet fishing. The eyes and handle have held up well showing no sign of wear, the fuji reel seat is great.

The only downside I have found is the weight and balance when holding the rod for long periods of time. The rod is a little tip heavy. I expect that if the rod was 12ft instead of 13ft then It would be ideal. I generally fish with the rod on the rest but at times when I hold it for those sensitive bites it can become uncomfortable.

Still a cracking bit of kit for anyone looking for a silvers to 4lb match rod.

Jason

Edited by Terracan Jas

2012 Fish: Roach, Dace, Gudgeon, Perch, Eel, Bream/Roach Hybrid. Bream, Silver Bream, Carp, Pike.

Jas Uses: Drennan Rods, TFG Rods, Shimano Reels, Okuma Reels, 4lb & 3lb Maxima chameleon line, Drennan Double Strength 6lb line, Drennan Hooks to nylon 2lb to size 20 barbless & 1lb 10oz to size 22 barbless., Mustad hooks to nylon 3lb to size 16 barbless * 2lb 10oz to size 18 barbless, Drennan floats, Premier Floats, Middy Floats, Uni Floats, Camo Shot, Anchor Shot, Drennan & Middy Open Ended & Closed ended feeders, Unbranded ledger weights, Shakespeare seat boxes, Fox Tents and Luggage. Team Shakespeare Umbrellas And much, much more.

[quote name='Terracan Jas' date='Oct 29 2011, 07:43 PM' post='4611056

The downside is that it is unbalanced.

Nice to see an honest product review, Jason. There are a couple of guys currently reviewing gear in the comics who (by some miracle) never seem to be sent any gear which is less than perfect. Having bought and returned a couple of these items - thoroughly disappointed with their performance - I'm now very reluctant to part with the readies without handling the product.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

The only downside I have found is the weight and balance when holding the rod for long periods of time.

Jason

You can counter the balance issue but you have to make it heavier but because its balanced it does'nt seem to be an issue

Put some weight inside the bottom of the butt to counterbalance, work out whats needed when the reels on the seat

You can counter the balance issue but you have to make it heavier but because its balanced it does'nt seem to be an issue

Put some weight inside the bottom of the butt to counterbalance, work out whats needed when the reels on the seat

TJ, you could atttach a heavier reel if you have one, this would help as a counter balance without messin with weights.

I have tried different reels but with minimal success but this is due to most of my reels being very small and lightweight. My main line is usually between 1.5lb - 3lb. Typical reels are okuma and shimano.

I did once put a shimano baitrunner on the rod to see the difference, which there was. Only down side of this is the reel is alot larger and bulkier. The size and weight was so different that It took a few attempts to get used to striking at the float when the rod is in its rest. This is not a problem but IMO I found this to be more of a set back than the rod being slightly tip heavy.

I've not yet tried to add more weight to the rear of the rod, ill have a look at what I can do. If the butt of the handle unscrews then this should be not problem.

Still the balance is not a problem for the money its just a personal observation. The quality for me more than makes up for this set back.

Ill just Note that Ive compared this Multi Float rod to my Drennan Series 7 Silverfish 13ft and Normark Titan 2000 13ft. These are IMO suitable benchmarks for comparison.

Jason

Edited by Terracan Jas

[quote name='Terracan Jas' date='Oct 29 2011, 07:43 PM' post='4611056

The downside is that it is unbalanced.

Nice to see an honest product review, Jason. There are a couple of guys currently reviewing gear in the comics who (by some miracle) never seem to be sent any gear which is less than perfect. Having bought and returned a couple of these items - thoroughly disappointed with their performance - I'm now very reluctant to part with the readies without handling the product.

I agree. It is nice to feel and hold the rod for yourself. My advice is that If you can find one to view then I would. They are not too easy to come by tho. Id you do buy of eBay or another Internet shop check to see if you can return the item if you are not happy.

Its not a £250 Normark or Free Spirit rod so don't expect that, but for a RRP £69 rod, after fishing with it and personally having lots of success I would pay £100 for another.

Each to their own at the end of the day, but Its a good one that I am happy to recommend. If your fishing style is similar to mine, mainly silvers, perch and the odd tench on a stick float this is a wonderful addition to anyone's fishing arsenal.

Jason

Edited by Terracan Jas

Terracan,

Rod builders aren't dummies. If the rod is "reasonable" and it it is expensive enough to "have had some thought put into it" I wouldn't start messing with changing the center of gravity (the basis for parabolic rods in the UK and Europe). Equally, if you change the rod fulcurm aft you will affect/effect the direction of the rod load at the time of the strike. In this case it sounds like you are really discussing a rather casual "difference" that can be annoying in certain circumstances. Not a "rod failure" in design.

I've found it's better to keep the manufacturers traits in order and simply have "other rods for other tasks".

I to am enjoying your write-ups. Nice job and equally nice to see some fishing related banter on the forum.

Phone

Jason makes a fair point; given the low retail price it would be churlish to criticise any minor flaws. There are much more expensive rods with balance issues, after all. What I was trying to highlight is the difference between the perception of a salaried reviewer - whose publication is likely to carry some form of advertising for the same product - compared to the viewpoint of the end user, which is often very different.

Having said that, the balance of a rod designed for floatfishing is one of it's most important qualities and can be the sole difference between a good rod and a real belter. As Brian has already intimated, a slightly heavier rod with perfect balance often feels (and performs) better than a lighter one which is a little top-heavy. I find it perplexing that products are released for sale by long established tackle firms without (apparently) taking this into account.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."