What's Best?

Elton

Bit of a vague question, but maybe somebody could help Mat:

quote:

what is the best thing to catch fish in fisheries at this time of the year wot tactics and what bait.

and what is the best bait and tactics to catch fish this time of the year in a river(pike,carp)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

quote:

Originally posted by Elton:

quote:

what is the best thing to catch fish in fisheries at this time of the year wot tactics and what bait.

and what is the best bait and tactics to catch fish this time of the year in a river(pike, carp)

Phew! Better anglers than me will have to try to answer the best part of that combo-question but

re: and what is the best bait and tactics to catch fish this time of the year in a river(pike ...)

Sink 'n' Draw and dead-baiting

Over to the experts for the rest

DG

[ 29. October 2003, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Phew Elton, What a question!!!

I have found that in winter I leave all the 'fancy' baits alone and go down in size of hook (14,16 and, dare I say it..18) and use double or single maggot. I rarely blank, but some catches may be small fish. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

quote:

what is the best thing to catch fish in fisheries at this time of the year; what tactics and what bait?

Carp; pits with both shallow and deep sections (not just all deep or all shallow); check with fishery about allowable baits ... boilies are one of the most popular and effective, even at this time of year

N.B. Carp fishing (and pike fishing, or any fishing for that matter) requires a lot of tackle, starting with a big net and unhooking mat and working back from there. Big carp fishing is not for novices, which Mat sounds as though he may be

DG

[ 01. November 2003, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

The Diamond Geezer:

N.B. Carp fishing (and pike fishing, or any fishing for that matter) requires a lot of tackle, starting with a big net and hooking mat and working back from there.

DG

Where can I get one of those hooking mats, sounds interseting.

[ 01. November 2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

quote:

Originally posted by The Diamond Geezer:

quote:

what is the best thing to catch fish in fisheries at this time of the year; what tactics and what bait?

Carp; pits with both shallow and deep sections (not just all deep or all shallow); check with fishery about allowable baits ... boilies are one of the most popular and effective, even at this time of year

N.B.
Carp fishing (and pike fishing, or any fishing for that matter) requires a lot of tackle, starting with a big net and
un
hooking mat and working back from there. Big carp fishing is not for novices, which Mat sounds as though he may be

DG

...... and if you've got access to an experienced angler who just happens to have a boat ... have a read of Fred's fishing here

What area are you in matt?

ive been bagging up on a pole, using soft hooker scopex pellets, with small feed pellets of the same flavour.

this is in my local carp lake, which has a nice young head of carp (up to 5/6lb)

fishing on the bottom, with a nice boyant pole float in about 4ft of water.

the summer bait to use is corn on my lake, however, this has dropped off over the last few weeks so i gave pellets a shot.

this has proved a massive improvement in my catches, im going to try tutti frutti flavour pellets also, as these have been recommended as thee winter bait to use. (i cant use boilies as these are banned)

if you dont fish the pole, then use the lightest wag you can get away with, and i also find more light shot, better than few heavy shot as i think helps to reduce surface disturbance and reduces the spook factor.

this may all be bull, as ive only been fishing this method for a few months, however, i bagged up big time t'other day, whilst those around me blanked.

good luck

ctf

A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand