Looking for a centrepin

sherlockofsheff

You mentioned the Browning Rotator. I have a Revolver and it's excellent. Whilst the Rotator is a cheaper model if it's anything like as good as the Revolver you'll get a good reel at a decent price :)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Sherlock, Thats the link I posted at the begining of the thread. :confused:

[ 07. November 2003, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Tony C ]

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

Sherlock - Alan's a regular contributor on the IAC lists (Join from the Homepage of the link you posted). In fact the IAC has more 'pin nuts' per square foot than any other internet list or forum - it's all we ever talk about... :rolleyes::D

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

To be a bit more contructive, for the thread starter - I bought my first Centre pin about 7 or 8 years ago, a 5.5 inch leeds, I used it once, got in a load of tangles, got fed up with it, stuck it in the cupboard and forgot about it!

The a couple of years later I was invited to fish for grayling on the Kennet with the IAC, and was told a 'pin would be by far the best tool for the job so got out the old leeds, put fresh line on it and turned up at Denford on the Kennet, and after watching a few of the experts for a while, had a go myself, and got the hang of it, catching several grayling and trout.

After that I was pretty hooked, and started looking for more places I could use my pin, and then for better pins.

Then I discovered Ebay - and bought 2 of the old 60's style pins that seem so popular, I got a Trudex and a Speedia, and to be honest was disapointed in both, although I have caught with them, the leeds was much easier to trot with.

but the search for a better 'pin went on, and after reading all the reviews I could find, and a session in a tackle shop that stocked loads of pins I finally on friday bought myself a Youngs "Bob James" first impressions are that it is amazing, it is far more free running than any of the other reels I have or have tried hopefully I'll get a day out to try it out properly this week (Wife and childminder permitting)

So I guess the moral of the story is, Get someone who knows what they are doing to show you the basics, and if you get hooked expect to spend a *lot* of cash ;-)

Mat

To be honest, I have actually got a pin. Theres no make or model on it, but it is aluminium with perforations around the edge. I had it given to me when i started fishing many years ago. I have used it on a number of occasions, and always enjoyed using it. The only thing is it has a spin time of around 10 seconds, and isn't really up to using lighter floats. I think I might try and tidy it up, see if I can get it to spin more freely and then use it as a reserve for heavier line rather than spending loads on a spare spool for whatever I end up buying.

{2008 Editor's Note: to view centrepin reels for sale, please click here}