And did they listen?

Leon Roskilly

Came across an old cutting from AT dated 22 Sep 1993!

LET'S HAVE A FREE-FOR-ALL

WITH the recent increased exposure of angling on TV, including 'A Passion for Angling' and John Wilson's 'Go Fishing', there are a number of my friends and colleagues I would love to see 'getting hooked'.

If only it were as simple as being able to say: "Fancy going fishing this Saturday?" and just going!

Problem is, there is all that hassle and expense obtaining a licence, not to mention day tickets.

So trips end up being relegated to 'Maybe another time' status: in other words, they never happen.

Would it not be possible for the NRA to announce a 'National No Licence Day'?

Then, maybe, clubs could join in with a 'Bring a Friend for Free Day' scheme on waters they control.

With some help from the media in publicising such special days, I'm sure a lot more people might be induced to take up the sport.

Who knows? Far-sighted tackle dealers might even join in with free bait (or, at least. two pints of maggots for the price of one).

Come on, NRA, how about setting the ball rolling?

It would cost nothing, and might lead to significantly more licence sales in the future.

L. Roskilly, Rainham, Kent.

Ed: Why not? We already have plenty of 'No Fish Days'...

Tight Lines - leon

[ 16. November 2003, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I think this idea has been hit upon before, but its still a good idea nonetheless.

How about a National Fishing week? Held over two weekends and the week in between. In high summer, free rod licences for beginners. Free or reduced day ticket costs from fisheries and of course free/or reduced cost bait from tackle shops to boot!

I remember Dave Kennedys club in Cambridge did something for the local kids a few years back on his local River Cam and that was a tremendous success getting new youngsters interested in the sport. He also managed to get radio coverage and PAA coaches to teach the kids on a one to one basis...ALL the kids caught fish!! Dave...if you still look in, tell us about it...

Do you think the EA would support this idea and give free permits for an event like this?

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Steve Randles:

Do you think the EA would support this idea and give free permits for an event like this?

er, i think that there has been a scheme in operation over the last few years.

Licence holders are able to cut a coupon out of AT, and fill in the details of a beginner and take him fishing without a licence, during National Fishing week.

And then there are events like http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/...c=&area=&month=

So, they did seem to get the idea from somewhere :)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

So they did listen then! Leon you are getting as senile as me mate! :D:D

Do agree though.I use a small park pond locally to take all my mates kids to.It is run by a small local club for local people,(Christ that sounds like something out of the League of Gentlemen!!)I still get charged for a dayticket for the kids.I dont fish myself but sit next to them.I buy a ticket for myself.How tight and shortsighted can you get? :mad:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

It would be wonderful, and I think it could be taken one step further. There a lot of disabled people who are of the impression that the would be no good at the sport, this would be an opportunity for them to try!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

kleinboet:

It would be wonderful, and I think it could be taken one step further. There a lot of disabled people who are of the impression that the would be no good at the sport, this would be an opportunity for them to try!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

From a recent brief, prepared by the NFSA for our meeting with the (then) shadow fisheries minister, John Hayes.

'1. A recent survey by the English Disabled Sports Federation has identified angling as being not only the most popular sport for those that have tried it, but also the sport that most disabled persons would like to try.'

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Alan Pearce:

How about licence holders being able to take a guest fishing for the day. Make it simple and easy to use at the drop of a hat.

Something I submitted to the SAA a while ago:

Angling is an activity of immense (albeit largely unrecognised) national social, and economic value, universally accessible to all social groups, including handicapped, unemployed etc.

Unfortunately, evidence seems to suggest that the number of people involved in angling is declining.

Undoubtedly, in part, this is due to the lack of convenient fishing opportunities for newcomers (with most waters now coming under control of a club, or owner seeking income), and the lack of opportunity to take up fishing on impulse.

(Prospective (non-sea) anglers now need to pre-arrange the purchase of a licence, and often a club membership or day ticket etc).

In my own experience, I’ve often been approached by relatives, friends and colleagues asking if they could accompany me on a fishing trip, but the idea has usually been dropped, due to the amount of pre-arrangement needed.

Contrast this to the requests to join me on a cycling trip. I lend them my spare bike, and we are off.

(I’ve a number of cycling companions who I’ve recruited to join in club runs – if only it was so easy to get them fishing!)

What follows are a couple of ideas that I have to address these problems of recruitment, which I would like to pursue through SACG/SAA.

1. Guest licensing

Currently, a coarse angler can purchase a second licence, allowing the individual to fish with two extra rods.

What I propose is that any angler who has two licences may fish with the additional rods, *or* in the company of an otherwise unlicensed angler (or two).

This would mean that I could take a succession of individuals on trips with me throughout the season , without worrying about first obtaining a license for them.

A proportion of those I take, would ultimately want to fish without me, and need to buy their own personal licence, leading to increased numbers of people fishing, and buying licences.

Even if an angler were to only fish with me, and never bought their own licence, there would still be income from two licences.

Maybe I would take John one week, and Mary on alternative weeks, but this arrangement would clearly be very unsatisfactory over any period of time, and unlikely.

I’m pretty sure that the number of extra people introduced to the sport, to eventually buy their own licences, would easily outweigh any concerns for abuse of the Guest Licence system.

Another idea would be to leave space on the licence for the licence holder to take an unlicensed angler fishing with them on a number of occasions throughout the season.

(Say 10) blank spaces would be available.

The licence holder would write in the name of the unlicensed guest, and the date of the session, in ink, before starting to fish.

2. Guest Membership

We should encourage clubs to adopt a similar system.

Pay double membership, and you could fish with any other guest angler on club waters. (I get lots of invites to fish with other people, it would nice to be able to easily respond in fashion)

In addition, the club membership document would have spaces for guests as above.

Before commencing fishing, the club member would fill in the name of the guest, and the date, in Ink.

(There may be an additional day ticket charge to be collected by the bailiff at the bank.)

The club might find its membership increasing, as the guests and newcomers I take along, having experienced the fishing without the need to fork out fill membership up front, take out their own membership, and/or tell their friends about the waters and the fishing to be had.

------------------

Of course, there are all sorts of details which need to be added to the basic principle (e.g. guest’s rods must be fished within 20 metres of the licensed/member’s rods etc )

But such schemes would mean that next time I’m asked ‘Can I come fishing with you this weekend?’, I could answer ‘Sure, I’ve got a spare rod, let’s go’.

I’d probably spend more time fishing and less time cycling with my family and friends !

Angling needs to recruit more people. Let’s find ways to make it as easy to start fishing, or play football etc, and safeguard the future of the sport.

---------------------

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member