Boat Seats

Coramandel

Greetings All,

My first post here enjoying the experience of reading some informative and really useful tips.I'm looking for advice. Can anyone recommend some inexpensive seating with a back rest for a rowing boat? I fish the Thames (Benson/Dorchester On Thames area in a 14 foot aluminium rowing boat and it's killing my back! Does anyone else do something similar- I've seen some advertised in Trout mags/websites for around £235 but that's a bit rich for me.

Any help would be much appreciated

basspro.com/servlet/catalog.Sub...ERACC_BOATSEATS

And then you need a mount of some type

basspro.com/servlet/catalog.Sub...TALSACCESSORIES

Some of this stuff is available on this side of the pond, but it's probably easier to order it from the states!

Tim

A back to a chair would make rowing next to impossible. But for sitting whilst angling I use an office type swivel chair! Dirt cheap, came out of a skip outside an office block being tarted up! Almost brand new too.

Another source is http://www.cabelas.com where my seats came from. Its a similar range to Basspro but carriage might be cheaper since Cabelas charge by value not weight. Worth checking them both out. But dont forget approx 23% VAT/Duty.

If you dont want to go to that much trouble then try the following link.

http://landandwaterleisure.co.uk8?

Dont forget you'll need a mount as already pointed out. If you cant find a cheap simple swivel mount in the UK, then you could always buy the seats here and the lightweight mount from the US.

This is what the Cabelas seats look like on my ally 14 footer coincidentally also on the Thames

(Chertsey-Staines)

Posted Image

I know.....I know..... you've all seen it before. Well see it again. :D

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

The one shown mounted on the locker lid was brought from Cabelas and came with an adjusrable clamp that would fix to a rowing boat (plank) type seat.

Posted Image

As Peter said an old swivel chair can be mounted by simply drilling a hole in the plank and mounting a block of wood with same size cut out in it on the floor directly underneath.I used this for years in my own rowing boats.The clip on Cabelas type is handy for hire boats though.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks for the great responses! Think I've got enough to go on here.

Peter-you're right, I wouldn't dream of it!

Argyll & Budgie, lovely looking practical boats-have you read 'The Ingenious Angler'?

Thanks again.

Argyll & Budgie, lovely looking practical boats-have you read 'The Ingenious Angler'?

Confess I havn't heard of it. When I put my boat together there was not much info around other than the odd magazine article. I got most of the ideas from a guy called Ray Magness at http://www.myjonboat.com Four years ago it was abou the only website around dedicated to small boat fishing conversions. For about $17 Ray will let you download his DIY bass boat conversion details and although the original plans and instructions are a bit dated now, a lot of small boat builders like myself (this is my second attempt)have given Ray updates over the years.

[ 01. December 2004, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'