Pike fishing

davedave

davedave,

Number 5 concerns me. Are you going to become a "new generation" pike angler. These guys, all of them it looks like are offering you BAIT rod suggestions. How about becoming Englands premier lure angler? Now ask the question. What's the "best" lure rod for pike? Will a carp rod work for lure fishing? Can't say I've tossed many 10oz lures at pike. Bet there's a better choice than even a soft carp rod (just a guess).

Phone

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Budgie, thats great, why do carp bobbins not show bites very well? And what do you need the bail arm open for? :)

Phone- I will be pike fishing in many different ways I imagine, luring, float and leger fishing. I think my carp rod will be suitable as I am only casting short distances, unless you want to fork out for a pike rod for me, it'll have to do ;)

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I know Budgie always reccomends fishing off open bail arms but it's not for me. I use the baitrunner for what it was intended for

We fish in the main different types of water, Budgie fish's slower water and the rivers that I fish in the North are pacey fast rivers with plenty of pull

You have to have the confidence in whatever way you fish but you must also be a bit practical in how you do it, no good fishing the faster pacier rivers I fish with open bail arm as the line will always be out of the clip due to crap coming down river, leaves on the line creating drag or bream shoal line bites when they move through giving you false indication

Always use the Fox sliding drop offs (older type and better)and by adjusting the tension on the reel and moving the weight along the arm can cope with just about most flowing conditions

Oi Phone! I wanna be 'Englands Premier Lure Angler', I don't need any more competition! Stop giving the bloke ideas! :P:lol:

I would suggest however Dave, if you do intend to lure fish frequently (and I highly recommend it), to invest in an actual lure rod. Generally have a rapid, tippy action, with a decent backbone to both impart 'life' into the lure with finesse and handle decent sized Pike. They can be had at very reasonable prices from all over the interweb. Maybe another topic for you there?

I did try it the 'economical' (or tight) way using a short stalking rod but I've found it just doesn't compare to a purpose made lure rod with a quality reel.

I was a massive believer in that the rod/reel is 'just a lever/tool' and still am, but I make exceptions when it comes to using artificials. There is no substitute. You have to actually use it so much, it makes such a difference.

If you want to find out some more, try the LAS as well as here, they've been very helpful to me and always have bits and bobs for sale at realistic prices.

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Brian makes a good point about the difference in water we fish.I too use a bait runner on the few occasions that I get to fish fast running water a year.Only practical way,however for still and slow its open bail all the way!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thankyou all again :)

Went into the tackle shop today and bought a couple traces, a couple lures, a wire trace with trebles for deadbaiting, a pike float, some bead weights for the float and some large shot. Still on my to buy and maybe to buy list are a couple more lures, some beads, a drop back bobbin, lure rod and reel, and a larger landing net.

Brian - I am going to start my pike legering with a carp bobbin and the bait runner, if I find it's not very effective I can always change. I don't want to be spending money unless I have to, the bloke in the tackle shop today said carp style bobbins are fine for seeing drop back bites just so long as you pay attention. Surely when using a free running leger you woldn't get drop back bites anyway? http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/rig-section/le..._leger_rig.html

Renrag - Again I think if I get 'into it' properly I will invest in a proper lure rod, might even buy a better reel because when I went luring it felt a bit 'grindy'. But I don't want to spend money until i've properly got into Pike fishing, when i'll invest in some better gear

Budgie - The waters I have and will be fishing more are smallish rivers on the somerset levels, many part of the river Parrett. They are generally 2ft - 6ft deep, slow moving and not more than two or three rod lengths wide in the widest sections. I don't think I will get a lot of debri on the line, but i'm not sure. I might try it as a carp set up and if it doesn't seem practical I can change, or is it unsafe?

Dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

If you're on a very tight budget or just tight ,:P then I think as you already have most of the gear, you're best to start off dead and livebaiting.

It IS the best time of year for deads (IMO, before anyone swoons in outrage!) anyway and often sorts out the better stamp of fish present (saying that I've caught many Jacks on deads too!)

2 more things I'd put on your definite 'to buy' list- Long-nosed pliers for general unhooking (stronger/sturdier than forceps) and long handled wire cutters, just in case you're too slow (or the Pike are too greedy!) and the bait does go deep. It happens sometimes despite best efforts and cobra like reflexes!

Use the simplest approach, especially to start with. A simple running leger is all I ever really use anyway with deads and free roving float rig for lives. Should be fine on your C*rp gear... At least you'll be using it for a proper species now... :lol:

RE: Lure Kit. When you do get the bug (notice, 'when' not 'if'), definitely get a decent reel. In the first five minutes of a lure session the Reel (and Rod) get more use than many session anglers reels get, in a whole day.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

On the waters you are fishing then Dave open bail arm will definately be the way but hey you will soon find this out for yourself as the dropped runs increase if using a baitrunner!.

Re carp bobbins then if your tackle shop guy knows his stuff why doesnt every piker use them? Is he a regular pike angler?

Try to remember Pike are not Carp and you wont go far wrong! In general resistance and more importantly change of resistance cause pike to drop baits.Be this dragging a lead (and I asure you you would need some lead for it not to be dragged if the fish runs towards you!) or feeling the resistance of a bobbin (that is heavy enough to effectively show a drop back). The free running rig shown in the link aint really what you want try this one its simple but works-

FreeRunningLedgerRig.jpg

Thanks again, I know I keep thanking you but it really is appreciated

Renrag - Not a mega tight budget, I have a part time job, but i'm also a student and I don't want to spend money on kit that may not be used. Yes I have thought about trying deadbaiting on a leger rig, it looks fairly simple for beginners. I have long nosed pliers (or I can pinch my dads), I also have wire cutters but I don't know if they're long handled, will check! Yes my reel just about coped, but for the last few years all it's had to put up with is chucking out carp legers and floats, and bringing in the odd fish ;) It definitely didn't like luring, after about an hour the handle felt grindy and stubborn, it is getting on a bit!

Budgie - I'm not disputing what you're saying, i'm just trying to find the simplest way of doing things as a beginner, and setting up a rod with bite alarm, bobbin and baitrunner is how I know I can do it, at least to start with anyway. Not that i'm disputing your rig, i'm just asking, but what is wrong with the traditional rig? What is the cork ball and things for? What is a quick release clip? :unsure:

Believe me Dave what I'm telling/showing you is the "easiest" way! Itys actually easier to do it properly than try to make do.Both for you and the pike! The curtain ring and cork ball are in essence just a "run ring" and over sized bead but being cork it is buoyant so keeps the ring out of any debris and helps it be more free running. The rig shown will not be free running due to the small eye on the swivel,ledger stops weaken the line and will slip.The quick release clip means you can easily and quickly remove the trace.This is good as traces often get damaged after a fish (or couple) and you can then change them without breaking down the rig.More importantly sometimes its better to take the hooks out backwards (from the gill cover opening) and if you can simply unclip the trace you can do this. I find the large Mustad ones reliable (as in NEVER had one fail)

None of it is hard to find,make or use but all of it works 100%