trotting - holding back

The Flying Tench

It's a lowland river, so slow, deep and steady for much of its length, but the upper reaches are more interesting. This has some pictures of the Lacock area:

http://www.artfulangler.co.uk/blog/robfish...=48&page=14

Yes its a pretty little river higher up isn't it. I bet if you chucked some maggots in there, they would behave very different to where Budgie was fishing it and maybe it wouldn't even be so important to keep your float going in such a straight line.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redfin2
Yes its a pretty little river higher up isn't it. I bet if you chucked some maggots in there, they would behave very different to where Budgie was fishing it and maybe it wouldn't even be so important to keep your float going in such a straight line.

It is, and it is a major UK River that flows into Avonmouth in Bristol, in the huge Severn Estuary. I was born near the Avon in Bristol, and in my youth was where I fished Latterly the Upper reaches have been my home, and there are some nice stretches that hold both trout and coarse fish, with Roach being the target for me.

Below Malmesbury the Barbel begin to show, but the more popular stretches for Barbel have been in decline recently Otter or Abstraction? I don't know, but the Avon has gone from the top 5 as a barbel River to top 25 recently.

Where Budgie fished is near the Old Fry's chocolate Factory, now closed, and as Budgie said the Topper Crowquill float accounted for many of the winning weights in the halcyon days of match angling.

Hi Folks,

Im new to this forum and wanted to say hi to all of you.

has anyone been fishing in the midlands, i've covered a lot of the Trent in Staffordshire; also the Blythfield Reservoir but was wondering if anyone knew any good spots in Derbyshire possibly on the Dove?

Look forward to hearing you

Marcus

www.woodsfishing.net