do river fish fight better

paul93

ive heard that river fish often fight better than a stillwater fish of the same size and species and was wondering if this is true. the only river fish ive caught is perch and i cant say i noticed much of a difference. but ive been told that it makes a big difference with barbel and chub. is it true or does is it regional thing or does it depend on the size of river etc.

m Bi-winning" Charlie Sheen

And, I assume, many river fish benefit from a more oxygenated environment.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

ive heard that river fish often fight better than a stillwater fish of the same size and species and was wondering if this is true. the only river fish ive caught is perch and i cant say i noticed much of a difference. but ive been told that it makes a big difference with barbel and chub. is it true or does is it regional thing or does it depend on the size of river etc.

I think It depends on the river, ie. On a sluggish river then I don't think there is a lot difference but in a swifter running river or stream where the fish are continually needing to hold their position or move against the current looking for food; they can build up muscle tone and subsequently usually put up a better fight.

In still waters the fish sometimes get extremely lethargic at low temperatures to conserve their energy; especially when food is scarce; and also during hot weather periods in the summer when the water can hold far less oxygen, and because of this fish in stillwaters or very sluggish rivers can go without food for longer periods but if they are living in a river which is flowing then unless they can find a suitable slack area or backwater to live in they will be constantly needing to replenish the energy which is being used up, just by holding stream; and subsequently they will tend to retain or build up muscle tone in the process.

So 'Yes' I think that generally a lot of fish do tend to fight harder in rivers and their fighting prowess is also aided further by the current.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)