RADIO LANCASHIRE'S ANGLING PAGES

Janet

Grrrr! Janet is angry!

Yesterday, I went on the BBC Radio Lancashire website to catch up on the news, stories and the question and answer pages on Martin James’s “At the Water’s Edge” fishing section.

Where was it? Was I just being thick? I couldn’t find it anywhere, so I emailed Radio Lancs to see if it was just a glitch.

No, it wasn’t. Without a word to anyone, they’ve removed the angling pages….and their reply?

“We've recently made some changes to the website - ….. - one of which is that we no longer do as much sport on the website. Fishing is one of the sections that had to go, though there is an archive here...”

I only started fishing two years ago, and if it hadn’t been for Martin’s pages on the website, and all the help I’ve had off AN, I would probably have given up by now. I was trying to teach myself (rather difficult when you’re new to it and don’t know any fellow anglers!) so I contacted him for advice through the Radio Lancashire website, and got an immediate response, resulting in an invitation to go chub fishing, which was a fantastic day. I’ve also had several memorable days with him learning to fly fish on the River Ribble. I’ve been out with Martin several times since, and had invaluable help and advice. I’m not the only one – there are many more who’ve received the same help, after contacting him through his pages on the Radio Lancashire website.

What do we have on Radio Lancashire’s sport section now? Football, rugby, cricket and ice hockey…no mention of angling whatsoever, unless you choose to search the archives. Ice hockey? Yeah right – that’s obviously much more popular than angling….oh we do love a radio station that’s so in touch with its listeners, don’t we?

Luckily his radio show is still going.

Pah! I’m not a happy bunny!

Janet

Log on here and post your views.

Bottom right hand corner, takes less than sixty seconds and all you have to is request they bring back the fishing.

www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/sport/index.shtml

I bit my tongue and didn't make a wise crack about it being replaced by ice hockey! I can understand fishing not being everybody's cup of tea but ice hockey!!

I have a direct email into a sports desk producer. I was very tempted to post it on here so people can vent their frustration direct but with it being a public forum I will refrain for now.

Edited by Martin Salisbury

Regards,

Martin

Thanks for bringing this to everyones attention Janet. The BBC has been giving less air time to fishing becuase it doesnt seem to be cool or as widely watched as footbal and cricket.

I have just sent the email below to lancashire@bbc.co.uk and a post to the link pointed out by Martin Salisbury.

Fishing is one of Britain’s most popular sports…not only is it popular but it’s the most participated sport in this country. We aren’t couch potatoes who sit around cheering on a team based 300 miles away, we get out there and do it.

So why has this been removed from your site?

Using the “About the BBC” link from your own site I was easily able to find the following information.

Under your Public Purposes section:

In informal learning and knowledge-building

• Covering a wide range of factual subjects, helping audiences to build their knowledge.

• Looking for ways of making factual programming enjoyable for diverse audiences, both mainstream and niche.

It would seem that our so called niche sport has been removed and only the mainstream allowed to remain.

Martin James and his “At the Waters Edge” was a very enjoyable read and the help and advice it gave has been invaluable to me and to the others I have passed this on to.

The Environment Agency has been charged to get thousands more people fishing this year as it is a healthy and fun sport and also great for the environment. We are the first to spot anything wrong with the waters we visit. Many of us pick up the litter thrown away by less responsible people to safeguard our own environment.

The EA reported that 4 million people went fishing last year with a estimated total of £275 Billion pounds spent on the sport.

I would like to think we are not a niche sport at all and I would be very happy to see Martin James return to his home on your website.

Thank you for your attention,

The EA reported that 4 million people went fishing last year with a estimated total of £275 Billion pounds spent on the sport.

Blimey! We spent an average of nearly £69,000 each on it last year?!! :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Have you seen the comments section of Martin James site?

Martin James

There's a great one there by a police constable who has used fishing to combat under age drinking, anti social behaviour, etc with the kids. And it has worked brilliantly!

I have sent another email now with lots of these comments, and this time I copied in Rosie Cooper and Ben Wallace, MP's for Lancashire West and Wyre. Hopefully we can get thier support, especially on the sensitive and highly political subject of anti social behaviour from youths.

This touched a nerve with me...can you tell? There's bugger all on the BBC about fishing and it seems to be getting worse.

I know, seems a lot doesnt it and I thought it was a typo but its all on the Environment Agencies "Fishing for the future" PDF document.

EA - Fishing for the future

Maybe it includes money spent by our licenses, fishery owners on stock, tackle shops, tacklefests, etc.

No wonder my wife has been complaining about the amount I spend on Ebay ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I know, seems a lot doesnt it and I thought it was a typo but its all on the Environment Agencies "Fishing for the future" PDF document.

EA - Fishing for the future

Maybe it includes money spent by our licenses, fishery owners on stock, tackle shops, tacklefests, etc.

That document says £2.75 billion, not £275 billion.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE