PB pike-but who caught it before me

nigelnibbles

how can it be negative when any tom dick or harriet can chuck a dead bait out catch a pike and then be **** scared when they have caught it ;and havent got a clue when they have caught them i said they are a fantastic fish that deserve respect . but i was fed up of seeing people admittedly not all them ; catching pike then let them suffer . it does happen and i daresay i will get the enthusism to fish for them again but when you see two adults trying to get a plug out of a pike with a plank of wood without any forceps you kind of lose your faith in human nature . still budgie there is only four days to go before the new year so we can all start with a clean slate

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

O.K. enlighten us to some of them then!!!! [/QB]

Have you ever watched a pike suck in a deadbait? I have, and they can do it without giving a bleep or moving a float. If you've never had a deep hooked pike you havn't caught enough to be giving considered opinion on this forum. :(

I won't make this post into a list of the things that can go wrong when pike fishing. Those that go piking will know the answer.

If you want to gain experience join your local P.A.C. or try to get to know other anglers that fish your waters.

It is very easy to criticise others and forget that we all had to start somewhere. May I advise the whingers to give something back by helping to educate the inexperienced. Join the P.A.C. and pass on your wisdom and expertise.

:)

Fins

----

www.pikeangler.co.uk

Fins:

O.K. enlighten us to some of them then!!!!

If you've never had a deep hooked pike you havn't caught enough to be giving considered opinion on this forum. :(

Oh yes I have had deep hooked Pike, and I carry three sizes of forceps with me all the time, the longest being 15", for that reason. I admit that the fact they got deep hooked was my fault, after all I put the hook in the bait and cast it in the water, who or what else can I blame?

So having admitted to that can I now be considered to have an opinion. [Or is the jury out]

Originlly posted by Finns:-

I won't make this post into a list of the things that can go wrong when pike fishing. Those that go piking will know the answer.

But why can't you give the benifit of your expeirience to those that may not be as knowledgeable, or are just into Pike fishing, especially as we both have the welfare of the fish we admire so much at heart. Why keep to yourself these probable dozen explanations?

Originally posted by Fins:-

It is very easy to criticise others and forget that we all had to start somewhere.May I advise the whingers to give something back by helping to educate the inexperienced.

:)

Your words not mine!! :):)

[ 28. December 2003, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

Congratulations on your PB. I have only ever had one deep hooked pike myself over the years and I adopted the Pulling on Trace technique advocated by others already. One cannot assume late striking to blame, but something wrong with setup up unless fish was played by a very bad snag and angler had to put brakes on hard. Pike bites can be fickle. My deep hooked fish never gave any indication of a bite what so ever and I caught it (18lb porker) when I reeled in to change bait. Weirdest take I ever had was a violent rattling of rod tip on a 3lb TC rod and single bleep. Left it for 10 minutes then reeled in. My mackerel had been swapped for a partially decomposed and lip hooked perch of about 6 oz. Spooky or what ?

Firstly, congrats to NN for a PB.

Peter Waller:

....or these horrible plastic coated jobs that you see advertised on e-bay for example.

Peter, could you be a bit more specific regarding the plastic coated jobs please? I may have a dabble at winter piking and so bought some plactic coated traces. I've thrown the packet away, but I'm sure that they are a good make, ie Fox or equiv. Should I bin them?

i was going to ask that gaffer, since i moved, none of my local tackle shops sell decent ready made traces, (by decent i mean branded ones) all i can get, without driving 30 miles, is 12 or 18" plastic coated ones, which while not as good as the fox or leeda ones i'd like to use, seem ok, what should i be looking for to tell me whether they are any good or not? soon i'm going to start making my own, next time i'm in a tackle shop that sells the right bits i'll get them.

quote:

Peter, could you be a bit more specific regarding the plastic coated jobs please?

Gaffer we did a thread on the 19th of December regarding trace materials disscused the plastic problem Topic heading: (Another Pike trace question)as you will see homemade plastics are not normally the problem it's the ready mades

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

1) crack off on cast due to wind knott

2) crack off on cast due to not having bail arm open

3) crack off on cast due to incorrect line strength

4) crack off on cast due to line wrapped around tip ring

5) snagged playing fish

6) snagged not playing fish

7) cast in bush/tree, snap off trying to retrieve, bait and trace drops into water

8) pike swallows bait before moving off

9) line weakened on snag/branch etc. when playing fish and parts

10) bite off

11) poor knot

12) weakness in line

13) line not of sufficient breaking strain

14) reel locks up playing fish

15) pike rolls on line and it snaps

16) pike tailwalks, angler doesn't give line, line snaps :(

There are lots of ways that a pike can end up with a trace in its belly. We must do all we can to reduce the number of incidents. We cannot stop it altogether though.

Incidentally has anyone ever tested the acidity of a pikes stomach? Should we leave trebles in a stomach or turn it inside out? I would be interested to know if there is hard evidence either way.

Fins

----

www.pikeangler.co.uk