Shimano GT 3500 Bait runner....

Dave H

After taking fishing back up for i dunno around 15 years a go for what little tackle i had left i came across my only reel left and that was a Shimano Gt 3500 Bait runner. I used it today after all this time and what a cracker of a reel it is. maybe it's because i have only had a few sessions back so kind of think everything old is Fantastic but i remember using 2 of these with 2 powerloop 2 3/4lb test curves and they handled everything.

my quesion is though could they handle a good sized carp. Back then a 14lb was a average/ decent carp but now what it has to be a mid 20lb..(you might have to correct me).

I am not deliberately targeting carp but they go up to 35lb in my club water so would the reel struggle?

What do you think? :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Hawk,

JMO. A reel is not a part of the "power unit" to gather fish to the bank. My friends in Mexico use Coke bottles to gather line. It is the rod/line and angler that retreive fish.

Phone

Edit: well 'ell - I didn't answer your question. Sure that reel is fine.

Edited by Phone

Hawk,

JMO. A reel is not a part of the "power unit" to gather fish to the bank. My friends in Mexico use Coke bottles to gather line. It is the rod/line and angler that retreive fish.

Phone

Edit: well 'ell - I didn't answer your question. Sure that reel is fine.

LOL...Well you can't get no cheaper than that....

OK Phone what brand line can you recommend. i walked into a tackle shop and boy have things changed. Especially in the carp Angling rigs. I thought things were complicated in 1990 but jesus what the hell now not that i am really looking into that been there done that but even so...!!!!!!!.

I have still got good knowledge of how to fish but all these brands. Yes , the big ones are still there but so many more.

the drennan hooks still look good but a decent nylon line brand could you help?

can you

The reel will be fine!

Line wise depends on your budget - Daiwa Sensor will cost you about £6/£7 quid for a bulk spool and there's not a lot wrong with it. Some swear by it.

If you want to spend a bit more I wouldn't look any further than Shimano Catana but it will cost you around £18.

Edited by Rob Ward

Hawk,

Well, the UK guys can touch on this better than I can. Remember, line is becoming pretty "species specific". And, you should decide if you want to be a "no stretch" braid guy or a "traditionalist" mono guy. I've never been very good at mixing and matching the two. My reaction is "timed" with my line. I have fished for SOOooo long with stretchy mono that fishing with braid is not fun for me. I' gotta have fun!

Phone

After taking fishing back up for i dunno around 15 years a go for what little tackle i had left i came across my only reel left and that was a Shimano Gt 3500 Bait runner. I used it today after all this time and what a cracker of a reel it is. maybe it's because i have only had a few sessions back so kind of think everything old is Fantastic but i remember using 2 of these with 2 powerloop 2 3/4lb test curves and they handled everything.

my quesion is though could they handle a good sized carp. Back then a 14lb was a average/ decent carp but now what it has to be a mid 20lb..(you might have to correct me).

I am not deliberately targeting carp but they go up to 35lb in my club water so would the reel struggle?

What do you think? :)

Provided you are not looking to fish at range due to the not so good line lay then you should have no problems with the reel as they have a superb clutch and are capable of handling any Carp that you are likely to hook into. They work extremely well with a through actioned rod and I often use them in conjuntion with rods between 1.5lb tc and 2.25lb tc which balance well with the reel. If you have a relatively clear swim, this type of combination coupled with a good quality line of around 10lb bs is capable of handling big fish and also an enjoyable experience. If the waters you are fishing are snaggy or have bars in the proximity of where you are fishing then you may need to have a re think but in answer to the main point of your question then the reel is fine.

Provided you are not looking to fish at range due to the not so good line lay then you should have no problems with the reel as they have a superb clutch and are capable of handling any Carp that you are likely to hook into. They work extremely well with a through actioned rod and I often use them in conjuntion with rods between 1.5lb tc and 2.25lb tc which balance well with the reel. If you have a relatively clear swim, this type of combination coupled with a good quality line of around 10lb bs is capable of handling big fish and also an enjoyable experience. If the waters you are fishing are snaggy or have bars in the proximity of where you are fishing then you may need to have a re think but in answer to the main point of your question then the reel is fine.

Thanks guys. I have been fishing for 20 years before the 15 year break and the carp and just about every other fish has got bigger and the tackle so so different. I am a bit of a nuisance.