i can`t fish!

bbigbbob

my wifes family took me trout fishing for the first time in canada earlier this year, caught a couple of trout, it was an excellent day out.

since i`ve come back to the uk i`ve been fishing on a lake in windsor 4 times now ( first time with my brother in law who fishes regulally )and i`ve not had a bite, 6 or 7 hrs fishing on each occasion and not even a bite while everyone around me is catching.to be honest i`m ready to jack it in before i`ve even got going, i just don`t want to waste any more sundays.

other than send all my kit to the bottom of the lake has anyone got any suggestions?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd use a smaller hook, say 10 or 12.

Baits seem fine, also try worms, bread and luncheon meat as are proven killers for carp!!

Make sure you're fishing on bottom, or you could try fishing on top using freelined bread, or dog bicuits

Dan

thanks for the tips ,i think i`ll give it one more go. i`d thought of trying a different venue as well , i`m fairly close to willinghurst fisheries though i`m not sure what the fishings like there.i was really looking forward to taking up fishing but if my luck doesn`t change then i can`t see the point in continuing.

Dont lose interest, its called fishing for a reason, if you caught everytime you threw in a line you would get bored, you are going about the right way, that is looking for information you can never have enough info on tactics and rigs etc

Your time will come and you will be a better angler for it !!!

Tight Lines !!!

Hi bbigbbob and welcome.

Fishing in the UK is very different from fishing in North America. The UK fish have been pressured and are lots more wary so you really do have to go with a different sort of tactics.

If you enjoy fishing, it will probably be worth the time and effort to learn how to do things UK style.

If you do well learning from books and magazines, I imagine some folks on here could make suggestions. Also likely to help if you describe the rod(s), reel(s), etc. that you have.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President