Larger alternative to maggots

Newt

another new bait to try this year

thanks Newt

Andy :cool:

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zappagod - I like to hook in in at the tip of the tail and out toward the center leaving the top half to wiggle around. If you are loaded with tiddlers though, this could result in lots of headless bait. Normally not a problem since something will decide the juicy part left on the hook is tasty. The other option with a small hook would be wacky style with the hook crosswise through the middle and leaving both ends free to wiggle.

Note to all re mealworms vs. maggots: two considerations for me that don't apply to you folks

- I cannot buy maggots unless I do so via mail order and they are expensive. I was able to easily buy mealworms from a pet shop so could try them.

- I don't own a hook (except for a packet of #24 ones that Elton sent but that I can't see (at least not without a good magnifying glass) so can't use) that will fit a maggot. I have a few #8 ones but nothing smaller.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt,

Maggots or mealworms you really should be using nothing bigger than a 16.

When we were kids we used to breed our own maggots, just bury an old orange box in your yard but with holes in top to let flies in and out. Put the remains of your cooked chicken carcass from Sunday lunch in the box, go back a few days later and scoop out your free maggots.

Note: Don't try this in winter!

[ 21. January 2005, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Gobio ]

Potato pieces (but more often raw than cooked at all) are still used for carp bait in the US. Plain or with flavors & color added.

Same idea as boilies - a bait that is pretty much tiddler proof and will last a good, long while.

The added plus for them over here - potato is not very attractive to catfish and every other carp bait I can think of is also a reasonable meal for channel catfish.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

a good alternate and larger than maggots would be Bee Moth larve. dont know if they are available in uk or not though. they are deadly here and available fairly cheap most places especially in the midwest of usa.not readily available except by mailorder here in florida.they look like maggots and are soft bodied and are much bigger but still not too large.another great bait you can get o catch yourself is crickets and smalll grasshoppers.fish go nuts over them even carp.

[ 23. January 2005, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: d.cobb ]

Anyone have a clue as to how many maggots there are in a pint, that would give a true idea of how expensive or otherwise mealworms are. The website mentioned by Matthew also has some humungous cage feeders!!!

there is also a maggot between the size of a normal one and a mealworm,they get em off Egyptain moths and have been a great bait,but im not sure if they are banned in this country now.

it was a few years ago since i last saw any in my local tackle shop