Larger alternative to maggots

Newt

Maggots are outstanding bait for many fish both large and small. Nasty at times though since if left alone you get lots of huge flies. Not fun to raise at home because of their diet.

As an alternative and especially if you are targeting larger fish and want to use larger hooks, how about mealworms?

Yellow mealworm, Tenebrio molitor

Dark mealworm, Tenebrio obscurus

(Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae)

Posted Image

and a close-up with structural detail

Posted Image

Dead easy to raise and breed with the added advantage that when the things turn to adults, they don't fly so you can keep them around to lay eggs (ah ha, new batch of mealworms) and then politely die.

Great article for rasiing and breeding them

Here and another one Here or just google for 'raising mealworms' if you want more.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL - I've gotten the same sort of response in the past but when I tried to pin folks down to specifics, it usually turned out they'd never tried them but just knew they wouldn't work.

I don't have many of the species that UK coarse anglers target so I can't be positive about using them over there but they certainly work well on many different fish over here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have tried mealworms and indeed caught on them. Mine came from the local pet shop, but were very expensive compared with maggots. However, I never knew you could breed them easily.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Shops used to have Wax worms in small red tubs for sale but as all ready said they were quite expensive.Never tried them but should have as a hookbait in conjunction with maggots I suppose.Will keep my eye out for some this season.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The wax worms are certainly lots harder to raise and the adults can fly so if you mess up, you got a house full.

Think I'll stick to mealworms meself. :D

j_s:

Steve, did you find they produced better specimens or more bites etc?

They were the only animal bait I tried on that trip so I can't make comparisons. However, the chub certainly liked them!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I used to keep an Iguana and that was fed from time to time with mealworms. I used them a few times for trout but like Steve said, they wern't cheap so it wasn't something I repeated often.

They did work alright though.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...