Fishing in the amazon

malevans

you may want to try the link i have attached as The river that runs through the reserve is crystal clear with a white sand bottom. Imagine a small river flanked by Varzea flood forest and Gallery forests still in pristine shapes with all of its great wildness still intact. The crowns of many of the hardwood trees in the Gallery forest reach heights of 300 feet and all of the species are still present. It is not uncommon to find beaches filled with the tracks of the endangered Amazon River turtles, tapir and even jaguar. Nothing could be more spectacular for an angler than the return ride to the lodge after a great day of fishing through meandering bends of this great watershed as the forest comes to life each evening.

so have a good time mate

http://www.amazonadventures.com/swallows.htm

just copy and paste this into your browser..

happy hunting

fishing guide for catfish and carp

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I have looked a little into this recently and the most promising site I have come across so far is http://www.fishquest.com/welcome.htm

They feature trips to the Amazon and also a lot of other places in south america. They talk of several species there, some rediculously huge, though how common they are I don't know. I had been looking at the possibilities of a trip sometime next year for around a fortnight to South America concentrating on several species.

The peackock bass fishing sounds very productive, there is also a fish called a Paraya, otherwise known as the vampire fish due to it's two 4 inch long fangs! These seem reasonably plentiful too. The catfish would be my other main target, though not much is written about them. As with a lot of countries, catfish are not really fished for seriously by many.

Hope the link is of some use.

I'm always on the lookout for new places to try and also keen to find people to join up with on these adventures.

Drop me an e-mail if you're interested.

John Bogle

quote:

Originally posted by malevans:

I could only find a couple of fishing camps in Thailand, where one fishes a lake of around 60 acres or even smaller, for what would appear to be juvenile Mekong cats. I could find no references to fishing the river its self either in Thailand,

There's great fishing at Bung Sam Lan near Bangkok ... I'll try to find their website for you, if they have one. see here

Created twenty years ago from a swamp of about twenty acres, the lake is stocked with a huge variety of native Thai and imported fish. It is one of the most extraordinary fisheries in the world.

The lake's waters has the world's three biggest catfish, carp and predator species: the Mekong Giant Catfish (Pangasianodon gigas), the Siamese Giant Carp (Catlocarpio siamensis) and the Arapaima gigas or Pirarucu. The lake is a real fishing paradise that has facilities representing perfectly well Thai hospitality - irreproachable.

Meantime e-mail François at info@fishingasia.com and/or sue@harrisangling.co.uk for net-loads of info.

Here is François: Posted Image

How big do you want to go?

Amazon-wise, Prof Barrie Rickards is the guy .. contactable via the PAC or the LAS

DG

[ 25. February 2004, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Dear Chaps,

Amazon? You want to try fishing the canal in Grantham. Big cats and blow pipes ain't now't when those shopping trollies start raining down in your swim. And those sunken matresses? Deadly.

That photo above must be the biggest bream I've ever seen. Catch it on sweetcorn or a boilee?

Regards,

Lee.

John Bogle:

there is also a fish called a Paraya, otherwise known as the vampire fish due to it's two 4 inch long fangs

Sorry to be a pedant, but it is called a payara but like you say it sure has a mouth full of evil teeth, with two at the front of the bottom jaw that can be 4 to 6 inches long.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

John Bogle:

Well I was close. I knew it was something like that!   :)  

Very close, virtually a typo. But don't they have an evil set of gnashers for a freshwater fish? I caught a little (2-3lb) barracuda in Oz once and its teeth did not look half as bad as those on one of these payara critters. :D

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

You don't have to go as far as the Amazon.

Check out the jaws of the common bloodworm (Glycera dibranchiata)

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President