Pike help on Windermere?

Julian

Hi all, can anybody help this visitor to the site?

----------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

I have a boat on Windermere and I can not seem to catch a thing. I’ve used so many lures and bait its unreal! If you can help me or tell me a spot to fish it would be much appreciated? I have got fish finder but it seems to make no difference just can’t catch those pike!

Many Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------

Many Thanks, Julian.

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Windermere is a big deep lake and will take time to crack. I've had four trips over the years and blanked. No shame really, I know people that have spent far more time than me on there and still not caught. There's a website http://www.lakedistrictfishing.net - thats worth a look, but if you really want to start catching pike and more important learning a bit about locating Windy pike then you really need a guide. It may not be what you're looking for, but a decent guide will teach you more in a day about the place than you could discover for yourself in a year. Think of all of the time and petrol you'll save. I know Matt Hayes guides on Windermere although after expenses, you'll have little change out of £500 for the boat.

Tony Cookney by reputation is a far better bet and a whole lot cheaper, probably £100ish per day. He's probably the best of the windy guides and has a small B&B too. You'll find him at

http://www.dlst.co.uk/Cookney/cookney.html

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Not the only one to blank on there. Winderemere is a notoriously hard water and local knowledge is hard to beat. I've had three blanks on there but it won't stop me going back.

Was also going to recommend Tony Cookney, as Argyll says he has a B&B in Bowness and also has his own boat for his guiding.

Other than that try either the northern most areas or the most southern areas and the west side of the lake, the rest being a bit on the busy side.

Don't want to name specific bays on here but have a look at a good O/S map and the areas become obvious

Franticfisherman has had a few out, he might be able to help.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Dont confess to be any good but i would be willing to spend the day on your boat !!

Had to try, fished it once with my dad and we hired a boat hard at it all day and didnt even get a follow, try a guide mate or get chatting to a few of the locals, better still spend the day on the boat with a pair of binos and see where everyone else is fishing !!

Brian Carragher:

Don't want to name specific bays on here but have a look at a good O/S map and the areas become obvious

I agree, once you suss out the features and dismiss alot of the lake it's a relatively easy water in my experience. Not easy for big fish but usually plenty of sport from average sized pike.