Angling Quotations

Guest Chris Plumb

Guest Vagabond

Steve - I agree with Nick in the North - can't remember that quote in "Casting at the Sun"

BTW have just tried to buy your copy of The Deepening Pool for £28.50 on the Auction, but it refuses to recognise my password (3 attempts)

------------------

Vagabond

Guest Vagabond

Steve - I think Nick is right - I can't find it in Casting at the Sun.

BTW I tried to bid £28.50 for your copy of The Deepening Pool (3 times) but the auctioneer refuses to recognise my password - and this thread has already rejected this message once. Gremlins, or what ?

------------------

Vagabond

Guest Vagabond

Steve - I think Nick is right - can't find it in C.A.T.Sun

BTW Have tried three times to bid £28.50 for your "Deepening Pool" but auctioneer refuses my password. This is also the third attempt on this thread. Gremlins, or what?

------------------

Vagabond

Guest Elton
Originally posted by Vagabond:

BTW have just tried to buy your copy of The Deepening Pool for £28.50 on the Auction, but it refuses to recognise my password (3 attempts)

Are you registered with the auction? It's a separate registration process to this board.

All the best,

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest Steve Burke
Originally posted by NickInTheNorth:

Hi Steve

Are you certain about the attribution of the Chris Yates quote, as being from "Casting at the Sun", and not "The Deepening Pool".

If you are, then he uses it in both!

I agree with you in both respects though. I think Chris Yates is probably the finest contemporary writer on angling (in terms of literary merit and enjoyment), as distinct from necessarily the most knowledgeable (though he's not bad on that level either).

And certainly the passage you quote is pure 'magic'.

BTW Don't suppose you have a spare copy of "Casting at the Sun" you wish to dispose of too do you?

Regards

Nick

[This message has been edited by NickInTheNorth (edited 29 July 2001).]

Oops! Yes, you're right it is from "The Deepening Pool". Been reading both again. Sorry, I've no spare copy of "Casting at the Sun".

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest Chris Plumb
Originally posted by Steve Burke:

Oops!  Yes, you're right it is from "The Deepening Pool".  Been reading both again.  Sorry, I've no spare copy of "Casting at the Sun".

Still, a fantastic snippet. Here's another from a great angling novel,'The River Why' by David James Duncan.

"The once-monthly fisherman adores his day on the river, imagining that 10 times the trips would yield 10 times the pleasure. But I have lived the gallant fishers life and have learnt that NOT fishing is crucial to the enjoyment of fishing: fishing is a good thing but too much of a good thing is a bad thing. I don't know why the chronic candy lover so quickly becomes the toothless hypoglycemic, the athletic champ the has-been chump, the dashing Don Juan the diseased lecher, but I know they do. And so does the constant angler become a water-brained, gibbering jerk-worshipper."

Chris

------------------

"Study to be quiet."

Guest Chris Plumb

Elton - if we keep this going you'll be able to add a "Quote of the Day" slot to your site...... smile.gif

Chris

------------------

"Study to be quiet."

Guest pikelines editor

Vagabond...

Thanks for putting me to rights on the FJT/his brother quote, some great verse from experience isn't it?

------------------

As darkness falls, big snigs come out to play...

Best, Steve Ormrod

Guest Steve Burke
Originally posted by Chris Plumb:

Here's another from a great angling novel,'The River Why' by David James Duncan.

Another brilliant book, which I was given by as a thank you by an American lady for taking her son aged about 9 fishing at Wingham. He learnt about stealth and caught his first carp - on a floater too!

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest Chris Plumb

I've not long finished it - Alan Tomkins recommended it to me. Out of print in the UK but still available from the states. It's worth visiting amazon just to read the readers' eulogies of this book.

Take a look...

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...3716424-6920663

A wonderful read.....

Chris

------------------

"Study to be quiet."