Broken rod top.

darrell.cook

Not sure how it happened, but when I got back from fishing today, I found that the top 4" of my JW avon had snapped.

Question is should I just replace the tip eye and not worry about the missing 4" ( araldite a new one on ) and not bother about the next eye, which is now just 3" from the top ?

Any negative effects ?

Appreciate some advise. thanks.

I'd live without the lost four inches. I doubt if it will make a bit of difference. It will be a shade stiffer but not so that you'd notice. You might however have a problem fitting the tip guide if the taper is such that the new 'end' of the rod is too thick to fit the original tip guide. A new and slightly larger one however will cost peanuts

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Having the next ring a bit closer to the tip should not make much difference.

It would be unwise to remove it, as then the spacing from tip to the next ring down would be too large - leading to rod tip tangles (line wrapped over tip) .

Too large a space (from tip to next ring) is a fault of telescopic travel rods. I get over it by selotaping an intermediate ring to the top joint, removing it when the rod needs to be packed down for travelling home.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I would replace the section that is broke, as it will never be the same. I did a similar thing to one of my barbel rods and in the end replaced the section that was broke as it was never the same

Seph

Paul

I'm happy to fit a new eye and forsake the 4" ( God only knows what that sounds like to a non-angler !! )

Went to a local shop and was amazed when the young guy there showed me two options:

1 - A new eye that fitted like a d*ck in a shirt sleeve.

2 - A tiny one that he tried to push inside the hollow section !!

Needless to say I took the rod and headed for the door.

Just had an e-mail from a guy that will send me 3 for £4, sounds OK to me, don't fancy driving through the rush hour traffic to the next shop.

Sorted.If it had been the quiver section I was going to post a link to show you how to fix it or sugest you brought it down to the teach in and I could have fixed it for you and used it as a bit of a demo for others as this is a common problem.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!