Trebles for carp

Guest Richard Capper

Guest M Godliman

Leon,

Thanks for the reply,I think what I mostly reacted to before was the assumtion by some that trebles were an anachronism and on their way out when evidently they are not as they are still used by the majority of pike anglers because they are at moment deemed to be the best way to go.

Of course people fish how they like and campaign openly if they believe something different particularly with details etc,often though naturaly the replies had slightly different agendas and frames of reference.

I will take your advice about eating oranges

Martin.

Guest Richard Capper
Originally posted by M Godliman:

...often though naturaly the replies had slightly different agendas and frames of reference.

Good point may then you could include a post without the habitual dig at those who don't agree with you then.

Originally posted by M Godliman:

...The trouble with objective rational replies is that basically I can't see that Richard (MARTIN?) is interested at that level ... the whole tract is disingenuous in the exreme so it's then more difficult to believe he believes in the welfare of the fish.

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

As a lot of the regulars on here know, I have a freind who owns a fishery & he has now banned floating baits due to catching one youth using floating bread with 2 trebles on the line about 8in apart mad.gif

Paul has been finding a lot of his larger carp with no lips or with trebles sticking out of them.

I'll stick with single hooks for carping, i don't use trebles for anything cos i don't fish for pike or zander (i don't trust myself enough to try & catch such delicate species)

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

my sites here

Guest tony jolley

Hello Alan!

I can see were you are coming from on your thought regards fishing for pike and zander,

I think you are missing out on catching these amazing species of fish, I cant say much on the capture of zander and only a little on the capture of Pike (most of the pike I catch are caught by accident whilst eel fishing) I would say though that you should possabley find somone who does or have fished for pike and ask if you can "tag along" on a trip to experiance the capture of a pike or zander and learn what you think you need to know.

If you are ever in the Wigan area I will be more then willing to take you out for the pike, I cant promise you big pike but does that really matter anyway?

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley

Guest 'eelfisher'

Dear all

I know bugger all about lots of things but I do know this....I use single hooks for all my predator fishing now...I have for many years. Livebaiting and deadbaiting.

Guess what, they do have barbs on them and I do not lose fish....even more so, 99% of the pike I catch are hooked in the scissors but then I always strike straight away.....mainly becasue I cannot count over five.

Interestingly, those who advocate barbless would lose a lot of pike if they came with me on my rivers.....pike in the rivers I fish tend to tailwalk and leap out of the water on a grand scale.....even in winter. Five foot of water is not much to a pike getting up to twenty pounds. However, nine pounders tend to get airbourne a lot as well.....no bugger this, they all sodding well do.

Steve Burke has said most of what I would have said....when I first followed this thread I was gonna post but then Steve came in and I decided not to run a double take....I like to stick to a 'single take'.

I have now had my say....you may not like it but fishing for pike with singles does not lose you more fish....and it also saves your bloody landing net mesh as well.

If I cannot, or do not want to, net my pike or zander, then I am very comfortable putting my hand there to lift the things out. I can see my hook 99% of the time and that means no surprises in store once the fingers are inside the lower jaw.....if I count slowly, I can still get to ten on the digits on my hands.

Yours With Respect.....

Steve.

PS...BT....stop being so sarkie you young gun....and who said you could start your own guiding firm?????.....careful son!.

Guest Alan Taylor
Originally posted by Gaffer:

I am not getting involved in this because I don't know enough about it. I will say that I agree with Gaffer about a single hook tied properly though. I learned how to tie a hook/hair, size of hook to boilie from a book by Danny Fairbrass or Korda. It realy works and 99% of the time the fish is hooked in the bottom lip. It shows you that by pulling the hook and boilie over the palm of your hand the hook twists if set up correctly and the point will dig in. Do it gently though.

All the best

Alan(NL)

------------------

ANMC Founder Member. Support Anglers Net & reap the benefits, join ANMC today.

Guest tony jolley

OOOH!

I`m sorry if I have come across as being sarcastick, I cant see how my post could be viewed that way Steve?.( please clarify for me will you,)

Alan! If I have offended you in any way< it is unintended, I swear! My offer is still standing and is ment with best intent.

------------------

Tony B.T Jolley

Guest 'eelfisher'

Dear BT

As ever, you amuse me by amusing me...I try to help and you are blinded by the light.

You're too good for your own good....

Poor old Alan, if he has to endure the non stop barrage of questions when / if you both end up piking on the canal up your way.

Still, he will like the food....so long as his favourite is pies.

Yours With Respect....

Steve.

PS...I am sorry for the deviation on this thread.....mind you, it started out in a daft way, so perhaps it should end the same way!

[This message has been edited by 'eelfisher' (edited 13 September 2001).]