Barton Court, Berkshire - Fishing Trip

MadRuss

I would have come but I'm booked on a Willow course in the morning. Any other Saturday! If you don't fill the spaces I will come up for the last couple of hours of light.

lyn

Just realised I tagged onto the wrong quote!!!

Edited by lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Hi Russ,

I may be interested in joining you but have never fished the Kennet. Can you advise the tactics you would normally use and species you would usually target? I undertand that target species may change depanding on conditions but if they were ideal what kit would you be taking?

Thanks

Ant

Hello Anthony, if you don't mind me interjecting my advice would be trot a float and stay mobile, the fishery is basically a network of carriers flowing in & out of the Kennet. You can pitch up and quivertip but in my opinion the enjoyment is in exploring as much as you can. It's a popular pike fishing venue, last time I was there a couple of weeks back 5 other people were on the water all roaming with lures so that's another possibility (they caught a 10lb'er). Most pikers that I've seen head for Upper Park Stream and Sherman's Water.

The website lists the species and it's about right although you do have to search out the coarse fish, they're not as prolific as they once were and often the trout get to your bait first. The Railway Slip and Gunters are good carriers for the coarse fish but they are to be found elsewhere too. I generally take maggots and a pot of lobs, bread and corn are also worth trying.

The main river water level is low at the moment but just about ok, some of the carriers aren't flowing too well though. Have a look at the map on the website, when you arrive you park at the green 'P' on the right hand side, from there you can get your bearings. I'd give it a try, it's a lovely place to fish.

Some pictures in my blog entry of the trip;

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Barton-...7-entry826.html

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Hello Anthony, if you don't mind me interjecting my advice would be trot a float and stay mobile, the fishery is basically a network of carriers flowing in & out of the Kennet. You can pitch up and quivertip but in my opinion the enjoyment is in exploring as much as you can. It's a popular pike fishing venue, last time I was there a couple of weeks back 5 other people were on the water all roaming with lures so that's another possibility (they caught a 10lb'er). Most pikers that I've seen head for Upper Park Stream and Sherman's Water.

The website lists the species and it's about right although you do have to search out the coarse fish, they're not as prolific as they once were and often the trout get to your bait first. The Railway Slip and Gunters are good carriers for the coarse fish but they are to be found elsewhere too. I generally take maggots and a pot of lobs, bread and corn are also worth trying.

The main river water level is low at the moment but just about ok, some of the carriers aren't flowing too well though. Have a look at the map on the website, when you arrive you park at the green 'P' on the right hand side, from there you can get your bearings. I'd give it a try, it's a lovely place to fish.

Some pictures in my blog entry of the trip;

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Barton-...7-entry826.html

Hi Rusty,

Thank you for this info. Sounds perfect and is the fishing I most enjoy. Will probably put my name down for a place. Just checking if my fishing partner is available to join us. Will confirm ASAP.

Thanks again

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Hi Russ,

I'd still like to tag along on Saturday. My fishing partner can't make it but 'd like to come.

I sent you a pm but had no reply. Can you let me know if a place is still available and if so what time are you all meeting up?

Thanks

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Hi Ant,

Russ is really busy at work this week, but due to the lack of interest and low water / poor reports we decided to cancel the booking and try again later in the season if conditions improve

Sorry

Mat

Mat

Hi Ant,

Russ is really busy at work this week, but due to the lack of interest and low water / poor reports we decided to cancel the booking and try again later in the season if conditions improve

Sorry

Mat

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'll have to get my trotting fix elswhere ;)

Thanks

Ant

Effort equals reward!!