CENTRE PIN REELS

spanishstyle

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I have looked at the Leeds and played with them at the shows.

How much would you get for a secondhand Leeds ?

I know you will get your money back on a good secondhand Youngs Trudex,Rabidex, G&Y Golden Eagal.

When it comes to hitting a Golf Ball of the Sweet spot-- I have a set of Ben Hogan cira 1973 blade clubs, which were used very close to one of Alan's home courses to finish second in the Amature Stroke play championship.

But it is far easier now with peripheral weighted clubs to hit the sweet spot every time, so why make it hard for yourself ?

Its a bit like Old Car's, Nice to look at, but a Pain to Maintain or Drive.

A Pin is a Pin-- not a lot of engineering-- so why are they so costly ?

And have you ever thought that this insistence of mentioning the Wallis cast every time a thread appears about Centre Pins, might in fact put angler off purchasing a pin, New or secondhand.

Jim Gibbinson:

Joy of joys, we've got people talking sense regarding centrepins! Never thought I'd see the day!

Just in from a few hours' river-fishing with a couple of small fixed-spools, and none the worse for it.

Absolutely right, Jim. It has been my long-held belief that all misty-eyed centrepin fascists and fetishists and Golden Age Traddies should be either taken out and shot or summarily flogged to death with a close-whipped early-model James Mk. IV, both preferably.

"Probably wear cane underpants, those guys" (much stronger last word used in the original) as someone once said to me...

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Dear Paul,

So the Christmas card from Chris Yates didn't arrive then?

Come on all you purists, surely your not going to allow Paul Boote to get away with angling purist blasphemy?

OK I admit it. I'm not a fan of wooden rods because against carbon I think they are well, crap. I actually thought they were crap before carbon came along. As for centre pin type reels? I own a few and only really use the Stanton (not a pin anyway) for a bit of trotting and would "NEVER" use one for ledgering. I favour the all singing, all dancing, highly intelligent, shimano bait runner for a lot of my fishing and indeed, buy shimano reels for nearly all my fishing requirements.

Must admit though, those really expensive centre pin reels make the very best home made hamster wheels I've ever seen!!

Regards,

Lee.

Bob I own several pins both new and old,cheap and expensive.For under £50 I think having used one for many years ather than "playing with them at shows" they are a very good entry level reel.Some thing backed up by most other regular pin users.I fail to see how you can dismiss something without having used it?

A couple of the reels you list are regarded as crap (they even were when new!) and you dont see many if any second hand Youngs reels regardless of condition at that price.Unfortunately!

How ever that said I understand your point about second hand values of quality gear and normally reccomend some one to buy the best they can for the reasons both fiscal and practical that you give.The trouble with the upper end of the pin market is that in my opinion the prices are grossly inflated and not in ratio to the better quality of the product.I certainly have to admit that my Dave Swallow reel and my Stanton are far better examples of engineering but at three times the cost they dont give me any better presentation and certainly dont catch me three times as many fish!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!