Legal Loop Holes

chevin

John S...

How can Mr Crabtree, a cartoon character, be oiur greatest angler? He was/is ink on a page. That's all.

Also, when did he take tench for the pot? I'm pretty sure he - or rather the cartoon fictional Mr C - did no such thing.

Fenboy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fenboy:

John S...

Also, when did he take tench for the pot? I'm pretty sure he - or rather the cartoon fictional Mr C - did no such thing.

Quite right. Bernard Venables - the creator of Mr Crabtree - certainly never included the taking of any fish, and neither did F.J. Taylor and I when we revised the book in 1975/76. But I think that John S was probably talking "tongue in cheek".

[ 19. December 2004, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: chevin ]

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Tog:

If a 'pot fishing' law were to be implemented then the sizes would probably have to be at 1 or 2 years after 'breeding size' to counter any 'anti' types.

Tog

There is no need to introduce a pot fishing law. I am not suggesting that anyone kills any fish. What I am suggesting is that every club or fishery owner introduces a minimum size limit. Every fish under that limit MUST be returned. If the limit is big enough then the angler catching a fish can say that his fish is under size and must be returned. It doesn't mean that he HAS to kill anything over that size and if those setting the limits do the job cleverly enough then fish bigger than the size limit are unlikely to be caught anyway.

(In the 1950s the Great Ouse fishing licences had minimum size limits for fish on the back of them. IIRC a roach had to be 8" long before it could be taken - I can't remember any of the others. I had to know them all for my scout's angler's badge!)

The size limits can vary from water to water and can be set apply to individual waters if it is so desired. It could be a system that would not affect what anglers do in any way but. as I keep saying, it could make things more difficult for the antis!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.