Catfish Tackle-advice sought

Sportsman

Honestly you wont be! The uptider is a really ineffectual piece of gear for landing big cats quickly. A 4lb through action rod lands big fish a lot quicker. Without sounding arrogant this isn't an opinion but a fact based on actually timing fights with fish on various gear.

Budgie

If cono-flex won't do the blanks what suggestions do you have for an appropriate rod.

There are a lot of rods around described at catfish rods but I don'y want to get stuck with three pokers.

The opportunity to buy locally is limited so it will probably have to be mail order.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Seriously, what time of year do they start running in SW France? Is next Tuesday too soon?

On the Saone in the Macon area we ran our season from March to October.That they can be caught outside of these times I have no doubt it was just that this was the most consistent time.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Budgie

If cono-flex won't do the blanks what suggestions do you have for an appropriate rod.

There are a lot of rods around described at catfish rods but I don'y want to get stuck with three pokers.

The opportunity to buy locally is limited so it will probably have to be mail order.

The Bruce and Walker blanks I helped design and subsequently built all my rods on are excellent................but far from cheap! A cheaper rod that I KNOW does the job is the old glass fibre Terry Eustace "Big Pike".I'm pretty sure that he got those blanks made for him by Conoflex.

Would Dave Lumbs Bait Blasters be any good for catting, they're available in 3.5lb tc but i think he does heavier tc's in other ranges, all on harrison's blanks

DL's rods are fantastic but I really have my heart set on glass.

I have just got off the phone to Conoflex and they tell me they can make up a pair of 12' 4lbTC blanks with the same through action as the carp rod blanks they made for me. Fantastic.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

DL's rods are fantastic but I really have my heart set on glass.

I have just got off the phone to Conoflex and they tell me they can make up a pair of 12' 4lbTC blanks with the same through action as the carp rod blanks they made for me. Fantastic.

Sounds good.

On the subject of action I popped into my local dealers this morning to pick up a 15' float rod, because as you say, choice in France will be limited so I have stocked up with tackle prior to travelling. While there I asked to try their range of Chub / Greys 3.5lb tc rods. Well. You've got to have a waggle haven't you? They had three, all the same brand, same colour blanks and whippings, similar if not the same rings and fittings. That's where the similarity ended. The fifty quid Chub was sooo tip heavy I thought I'd picked up a cane rod by mistake. It's action was confined to the top 1/3 and there wasn't much at that. The ninety quid Chub was similarly tip heavy, but had action in around 50% of its length. So, then the ninety quid Greys GT3 came out of its bag and I could not believe tht it was the same length, test curve and from the same manufacturer. It has a far more forgiving action and compared to the others feels as light as a feather. They had another Greys, but at over £170 we left that on the rack. You can tell that I'm a Yorkshireman. ;)

Regards, Clive

Clive for dirt cheap carp rods that are perfectly ok in the TC ranges you are looking at try the JRC Sky Liners.Often available on Ebay for under £20 each! In fact the newer (still available) Defenders ain't that bad and can be brought new (if you shop around) for £30 a piece.

As for carp tackle you wont have much problem getting good stuff in France these days! Mac,Sert and many others now make good gear.PacificPeche have shops all over France and also (I believe?) mail order.However anything either of you cant get Him more than happy to post/re post out to you as I know how frustrating it can be trying to convince most Brits that its not a major chore or a scam!

Clive for dirt cheap carp rods that are perfectly ok in the TC ranges you are looking at try the JRC Sky Liners.Often available on Ebay for under £20 each! In fact the newer (still available) Defenders ain't that bad and can be brought new (if you shop around) for £30 a piece.

As for carp tackle you wont have much problem getting good stuff in France these days! Mac,Sert and many others now make good gear.PacificPeche have shops all over France and also (I believe?) mail order.However anything either of you cant get Him more than happy to post/re post out to you as I know how frustrating it can be trying to convince most Brits that its not a major chore or a scam!

Thank you very much. You are a true gentleman.

There is a growing awareness of carp, barbel and cat fishing in France, but the tackle shops in the rural areas are very much rooted in the pole or telescopic rod areas of fishing. I think I'm covered now regards new rods, reels and end tackle after having a serious cull of my old stuff. Just hope the wife doesn't find the receipts :D

p.s. I'm even taking my wormery ;)

Thanks again.

Regards, Clive