New Rod race comp

Tyke

This year me and a mate as decided to do a sort of rod race to make it interesting.

The rules are we fish together when doing the rod race, we can only fish a venue 4 times and take alternative turns in picking the venue.

It works like this, when fishing a venue every species you catch earns you a point, once a species is cought at that venue you cannot get any more points unless its deemed a specimen.

So if i catch a common carp thats a point.

If i then catch a common carp over 10lb i get a point becouse its a specimen fish, a common over 15lb would get you 2 points and a common over 20lb would get you 3 points.

Say you cought a common at a venue you had not fished before and it weighed over 20lbs, you would get 4 points for that fish, 1 point for the species and 3 points becouse its over 20lbs.

You are allowed 3 specimens per venue and if you are lucky inough to catch the 3 alloted specimens at that venue then thats it no more points at that venue for that species of fish no matter how big it is.

For roach we class specimen 1 at 1lb , specimen 2 at 2 lbs and specimen 3 at 3lbs.

Tench is 3lbs, 4lbs and 6lbs.

You can alter the rules to suit so your specimen sizes may differ to ours and you may visit a venue 3 times or even 5 times if you prefer.

Say i cought 40 roach at a venue we were fishing for the first time and 39 were under a pound and one of them was over a pound then that would be 2 points , 1 for the species and a point for the roach over 1lb.

It makes the fishing a lot more interesting and tactics can come into play.

Say we had fished a venue 3 times and were fishing it for the last time in the comp, if i had cought all the species in that venue but not any specimens then i would be tagetting the bigger fish to earn points whilst my mate would be fishing for species he had not yet cought at that venue and hoping to get a specimen too.

Hope all this makes sense[:D]

If you like you can give 1 point to stillwater cought Brabel and 2 points for river cought Barbel.

Hard to catch species could warrent 3 or even 5 points.

Its best not to give too many points for a single species as the comp last for the whole year and its no fun if someone get a massive lead so only giving one point should keep it close.

So far we have fished 3 times, first venue was Tetney lock where i cought Stickleback, flounder and perch, my mate cought stickleback and roach so that was 3-2 to me.

Second match was Tetney lock again and all we cought was dace so the points were now 4-3 to me.

Today we fished a different venue for a 3 hour session and i targetted small fish on maggot and cought nothing(IT WAS BLOODY FREEZING)

My mate went on the method feeder with Luncheon meat and i thought no way not this time of year.

He had 2 mirrors, one of 4lbs point for species and one of 15lb 140z 2 points for specimen over 15lbs.

So he scored 3 points and me none.

He now leads me 6 points to 3.

Hope you get the gist of it all and it is good fun and will get even better when the warmer weather arrives.

If anyone wants more info or as questions then fire away.

We have created score sheets that i can post a pic up if anyone wants to see how its layed out.

Also if anyone as any good ideas to add then ill be interested.

This comp will work better with 4 anglers but they must fish together and species and specimens must be witnessed by the other anglers.

I had a bit of a rod race with my partner a few seasons ago, it was fun for a few weeks at the start of the year but then my wish to catch big fish took over and I soon lost interest as I only wanted to catch large fish and could not be bothered trying to catch all the mini species needed to win such a competition. I am more then willing to spend fishing time trying to catch a new species but have no interest in chasing small fish that I have caught before.

In the end I won :clap2: but only because I managed to catch a lot of reef fish on holiday. If we had set the rules to UK caught species I would have lost big time :D

I think you are being a lttle stingy about the point scoring for Roach. I think if either of you get a 2lb or 3lb Roach should automatically win the competion or at least get some major bonus points. Even 1 point for a 1lb Roach seems harsh.

Good luck

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

sounds like a very exciting compettion to fish in

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur