Winter Bream (seriously big)

Steve D

John, I think it was so we could have a chat rather than share tactics. I agree though that there's been a lack of responce from others. I thought with us all stuck in doors people might be a little more eager to chat about what we'd like to do...

I will start of a tactics session :-)

I have been messing around with chod rigs of late. Now I know they are designed for weedy swims, and we all know Bream are not too fond of weed. However, I have come up with another use.

I will set the scene:

70 yards out the water drops off from 8ft down a decent slope to around 14ft, this is over say 10 ft> so its dropping at around a 30/40 degree angle. Now I want to fish on that slope. All big self respecting Bream don't really want to tip upright to feed (big bellies) and if you can offer some food where they can just swim staright up, this should result in better bites.

If I want to fish 3 foot up that shelf, I tie 3 foot of leadcore, or stiff silt(20lb) to a 2/3 oz lead. Connect to a swivel to ather end. Then on the main line goes around 6 inches of 12lb (surfix) still silt with a swivel one end and on the other my hook. Before conecting the hook, I strip off around 3 inches of the stiff covering, leaving a supple length to tie a knowtless, with hair to the hook. I slide onto the main line a rubber stopper, move it up around 4/6 inches, then the swivel from the hook length. This, once tied give the bream around four inches of unwaited movement, enough for them to pick up, without concern, and TURN their head, bingo rig...

So, I cast out unbaited, feel back with the lead until I hit the bottom of the shelf. Then walk back 15 foot, mark the spot I have walked to and clip up. Then I bait up, walk back to maked spot, cast out, knowing my lead is at the bottom of the shelf, and once I tighten right down, I know my hook is 3 foot up the shelf, in perfect Big Bream territory.

Views??

Steve

Edited by Steve D

Friday evening forum starting mid March 2012. Come in for a coffee, and a chat, or advice. We'll be talking rigs, tactics, venues, and anything else fishing related. Heiniken say's, probably one of the best stocked shops in east anglia... Match, sea, fly, carp, specimum. If we ain't got it, we'll get it. Look for the new Frank Warrich gel baits coming soon...

www.stanstedangling.co.uk

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PM was about something separate John. I've never fished for bream in winter so can't really add anything, but I'm an interested spectator. I'm too busy on the rivers in the winter to freeze my wotsits off after bream, I struggle enough when it's warm!

Hi anderoo

I guess I sounded my usual rude self without meaning it. Like you I have been after the fish that feed this time of year. the zander, pike and lately as the river improves weed wise the chub.

Forgive me I am just a commoner. :D:D

John

Edited by John Weddup

John, I think it was so we could have a chat rather than share tactics. I agree though that there's been a lack of responce from others. I thought we us all stuck in doors people might be a little more eager to chat about what we'd like to do...

I will start of a tactics session :-)

I have been messing around with chod rigs of late. Now I know they are designed for weedy swims, and we all know Bream are not too fond of weed. However, I have come up with another use.

I will set the scene:

70 yards out the water drops off from 8ft down a decent slope to around 14ft, this is over say 10 ft> so its dropping at around a 30/40 degree angle. Now I want to fish on that slope. All big self respecting Bream don't really want to tip upright to feed (big bellies) and if you can offer some food where they can just swim staright up, this should result in better bites.

If I want to fish 3 foot up that shelf, I tie 3 foot of leadcore, or stiff silt(20lb) to a 2/3 oz lead. Connect to a swivel to ather end. Then on the main line goes around 6 inches of 12lb (surfix) still silt with a swivel one end and on the other my hook. Before conecting the hook, I strip off around 3 inches of the stiff covering, leaving a supple length to tie a knowtless, with hair to the hook. I slide onto the main line a rubber stopper, move it up around 4/6 inches, then the swivel from the hook length. This, once tied give the bream around four inches of unwaited movement, enough for them to pick up, without concern, and TURN their head, bingo rig...

So, I cast out unbaited, feel back with the lead until I hit the bottom of the shelf. Then walk back 15 foot, mark the spot I have walked to and clip up. Then I bait up, walk back to maked spot, cast out, knowing my lead is at the bottom of the shelf, and once I tighten right down, I know my hook is 3 foot up the shelf, in perfect Big Bream territory.

Views??

Steve

Steve this sounds really complicated do you think its needed if you get the right water with the right spot.

Are you having to overcome some nasty problems to need to do this.

I am starting to think big bream in even well populated waters are away from the feeding numbers so just heavy baiting is not the answer but I still believe in most situations simple is best.

Now we are talking tactics something a little alien to this forum of late and something it is really missing.

A real welcome change and long may the thread last.

John

Hi anderoo

I guess I sounded my usual rude self without meaning it. Like you I have been after the fish that feed this time of year. the zander, pike and lately as the river improves weed wise the chub.

Forgive me I am just a commoner. :D:D

John

I bet I get as much action fishing for Bream this time of year than most would fishing from big chub ;-)))

In all seriousness, 95% of all my BIG bream have come in feb/march, indeed my two biggest fish both came with frost on my bivvy and ice in the margins. All-be-it I was fishing in depths of over 16foot and thereby below the 2nd thermal layer... I do so wish teh snow would go away and the 2 inches of ice melt so I can get out.

On the subject of cold long winter sessions, I have a brilliantly simple solution. Takes extra water, and lots of gas, and a water bottle... Lovly jubly...

Friday evening forum starting mid March 2012. Come in for a coffee, and a chat, or advice. We'll be talking rigs, tactics, venues, and anything else fishing related. Heiniken say's, probably one of the best stocked shops in east anglia... Match, sea, fly, carp, specimum. If we ain't got it, we'll get it. Look for the new Frank Warrich gel baits coming soon...

John, Mate,

The water I am using this on has a handfull of fish spread over 65 acres and as such your rig needs to be spot on. I am talking targetting bream in excess of 15lb. I agree on heavyly stocked waters simple is best, but we are talking one bite in 48 hours. It is actually very simple to use and apply, and importantly, it's a killer rig for the biggens. Since using it, my catch rate has at the very least doubled, and John, you know I catch a few before their all gone lol...

Steve

John, Mate,

The water I am using this on has a handfull of fish spread over 65 acres and as such your rig needs to be spot on. I am talking targetting bream in excess of 15lb. I agree on heavyly stocked waters simple is best, but we are talking one bite in 48 hours. It is actually very simple to use and apply, and importantly, it's a killer rig for the biggens. Since using it, my catch rate has at the very least doubled, and John, you know I catch a few before their all gone lol...

Steve

Would you mind sharing this killer rig for the big bream? I would love to catch a biggie! ;)

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

I bet I get as much action fishing for Bream this time of year than most would fishing from big chub ;-)))

In all seriousness, 95% of all my BIG bream have come in feb/march, indeed my two biggest fish both came with frost on my bivvy and ice in the margins. All-be-it I was fishing in depths of over 16foot and thereby below the 2nd thermal layer... I do so wish teh snow would go away and the 2 inches of ice melt so I can get out.

On the subject of cold long winter sessions, I have a brilliantly simple solution. Takes extra water, and lots of gas, and a water bottle... Lovly jubly...

Steve bivvying up in this weather you have to be absolutely mad what with snow and hard frosts. :D

I have been out every weekend until the water froze and will be out again as soon as it defrosts. I generally go friday afternoon and return home sunday afternoon whatever the weather you should know I am not lightweight.

Obviously not bivvying up for chub but lately for zander open fronted.

Interestingly enough I speak to many brave anglers on the bank and from a couple of venues the carp anglers are still picking up the odd bream that was until it froze.

I had thought I should start my spring bream campaign earlier but the zander might get in the way.

John