Awsome reels

RUDD

What I was getting at Phone (and Worms) that that is the usual layout for all British Anglers, rod in right, crank with left.

Try eBay uk Phone, may possibly have a few more for you to select from over here?

I'm just the same btw, got a nice little Abu C5501 from Budgie. May be getting an Okuma Tormentor soon though as it's ok on a heavier set-up but a tiny bit beefy for my roadrunner! Damn, more gear I HAVE to buy...

Really need to sell a load of my feeder rods and reels. Might as well get rid of my deadbaiting gear too...

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Having been a top class caster I can see no reason why not use a multi for long range coarse casting, but that's as far as I would go with one. I used a selection of small ones years ago for spinning and loved them, and did use my Penns a couple of times on "the Ocean"to get well out :)

But to be honest, a competent caster will be able to cast just as far with a large FS as with a multi,and under most conditions, on the bank (not an open beach or field) then the FS wins hands down A high degree of skill and control would be required to put a baited rig and 2oz 140 with a multi,whereas the FS would deal with it very simply.

Yep, if distance is vital, and the bank conditions are suitable, then a multi will do the job with a heavy weight, but who wants to use 4/5 oz for freshwater?

And if you can cast 150 with a multi, then you can cast 150 with a large FS.................multis are not magic reels that transform your casting, you still have to learn to cast well.

Den

I suppose multi's are more suited to pendulum or off the ground casting as opposed to the overhead thump used for coarse angling.

See your point about skill and control - I use a 6500 mag elite off the beach and it took some time to tune it to my casting style and for me to get used to it (I OTG cast) - cant see many straight from the box type anglers having the time or patience to use a multi.

For distance fishing or Cats the Pen 525 (used for rough ground beach work) has plenty of power to handle big fish.

Budgie - retrive rate? When playing large fish I prefer a lower retrive rate and more cranking power.

A high retrive rate also causes line twist and tangled hooklenghts.

Then again when on the beach there have been countless time when a higher retrive would have stopped me losing gear on snags as I could have got the lead lift working a bit quicker!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I have absolutely no idea why Phone or Rudd think the lack of retrieve rate I mention as being a problem is to do with playing fish! Although you would struggle to keep up with a carp belting towards you with a multiplier! Its simply the slow retrieve rate would pee most people off (just waiting for some one to quote the higher ratios multipliers have as "evidence" they are faster :rolleyes:

So If I'm wrong then why dont people use them for course fishing then? Ive given the reason that I and most other multiplier users dont so be interesting to read why the non multiplier users dont think it is :yawn:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE,

How about I just put a giant handle on my baitcaster? I don't know why I mentioned fish retrieval either. I thought rods and reels were for catching fish? Silly me!

No reel in the world can handle a "belting carp". Equally, no guide in the world would allow me to use a baitcaster (after he nits out 50,000 birds nests for me). Here's a US perspective - not mine.

Spinning:

•Twists the line when "cranked on the drag".

•Can increase lure-tumble during casting.

•Are easier to set on the floor of the boat - reel sits on floor. with the rod ready to grab quickly. Bait casters ALWAYS roll over and sit upside down.

•Are easier to learn to use overall - no settings for spool spin, and lure weight.

•Works nicest with 2 to 12 lb. line (for BWCA use).

•Are easier to hold in your hand. The reel's weight is under the rod instead of on top of the rod like a baitcaster reel.

Baitcaster (multiplyer)

•Do not twist the line when you "crank on the drag" - line goes out linearly and returns the same way.

•Allow the lure to cast more accurately with less tumble

•Work better with heavier lines and braided lines - 10 to 20 lbs.

•Require that you adjust the reel's spool friction for the weight of each lure that you cast. Change a lure, change the friction setting on the side of the wheel.

•Require the user to have a good feel for the weight of the lure, the casting distance and the spool friction.

•Make great, trolling-only rods especially for big fish.

•Do not sit well on the floor of the boat - always ends upside down.

•Are fun to to use but baitcasters are for patient people who like to mess around a bit more. If you're on a tight time budget, spinning reels might be better.

Phone