Kindles

Elton

How many here now use Kindles for reading their books?

The reason I ask is that I'm just researching the latest releases on Amazon and there are a lot on Kindle these days.

I still haven't bought one, mind you!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many here now use Kindles for reading their books?

The reason I ask is that I'm just researching the latest releases on Amazon and there are a lot on Kindle these days.

I still haven't bought one, mind you!

dont read on a kindle but i do on my ipad; which has a kindle app.

i find books easy to read, very quick to download and really quite superb all round in fact in a digital format.

also use Zinio for magazines which is superb in every single way!

my only issue with Kindle/ibooks is the lack of the kind of book read~ for instance i have a collection of all the Conan books by Robert E Howard and Sprague de Camp and all the old "pulp" writers of conan...most are not available via kindle or ibooks....

the forgotten realms Drizzt stuff hasnt made it to english Kindle yet (though oddly they are in german??)

so whilst it is superb it is limited to what stuff is actually available digitally..and if like me you have a collection of books that you like to have digitally then its frustrating to not have them available.

with an ipad you can also make use of the web and hunt down "free" (cough cough) versions of the books if you are so inclined! same with magazines....

so in short...reading on a kindle/ereader is pretty awesome if you accept it is limited by supply and limitations of the your chosen device.

for me the up-sides far outway the downs though....for exemplar: im trying to get better with my Eos dslr. so laid in bed the other night looking at reviews of "noobs guide to digital photography" etc found a decent book with good reviews..hunted it down on ibooks, too expensive...found it on kindle cheaper...bought it instantly and within 1 minute was happily reading it on my ipad!

Edited by kirisute

Just been looking at eReaders. Not sure if I want/need one yet. Can anyone convince me if they're any good/worth getting? I do read quite a lot. Don't know anyone with one personally.

EDIT: Isn't there also a lot of stuff that is e-read only now? Thanks Kirisute, posted just after you, starting to sway me.

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Just been looking at eReaders. Not sure if I want/need one yet. Can anyone convince me if they're any good/worth getting? I do read quite a lot. Don't know anyone with one personally.

if you ever need to have a play with an ipad then let me know....im only 30 mins away from you mate!

seriosuly if your even a bit of a gadget guy then once you have an ereader/ipad there is no turning back!

i will say this though....if you have the cash and you are seriosuly considering an ereader then you need to look at an ipad or equivalent. ereaders are superb but are extremely limited and the extra functionality of a true tablet device open up a world of possibilities that an ereader never will.

read fishing mags? then you can use Zinio to subscribe/read them on instead.

have a fishing diary? why not use a tablet to take piccies and write etc

new area your going to? use tablet on the fly to hunt down fishing locations

dont know what you've caught? use tablet to hunt down fish species images or use a fish id app

ive used my ipad for all the above! LOL also "tweeted" from the bankside, hunted down a fishing knot for a buddy who forgot how to tie the one he wanted to use! LOL ive even sat and booked day tickets for the next venue!

im waffling a bit...but in short a tablet device will "grow" with your ideas and thoughts of what you can do with it. an ereader will not!

Edited by kirisute

Do they do waterproof/submersible tablets? :lol: Would be very cool to keep track of stuff for my diary etc, in situ... on my kayak... :rolleyes: Don't want much, do I?

Where are you then? I got the impression you were out Fakenham way from your sig.

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

I do read digital stuff on my iPhone- in fact, I downloaded The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner just the other night, having felt a desire to read it again after about 30-years! :)

I haven't bought anything specifically to read, though (that one was free).

I've played on iPads and like them, but they are quite dear. Two friends of mine, both editors, rave about Kindles. They read a lot, so I suppose I should take that as a pretty good endorsement and just buy one :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Do they do waterproof/submersible tablets? :lol: Would be very cool to keep track of stuff for my diary etc, in situ... on my kayak... :rolleyes: Don't want much, do I?

Where are you then? I got the impression you were out Fakenham way from your sig.

yes they do!

you can buy submersible cases for both the iphone and the ipad :)

i have a fully shielded case for my iphone which i use when fishing/shooting and it can be submersed down to 6 metres they reckon! LOL im never gonna try though...hopefully! the ipad cases are like zip-lock basg for them but retain full functionality of the ipad through the bag.....suitable fro all manner of watersports and quite cheap...

they do them for kindles as well

yeah im between fakenham and norwich...Guist in fact.

we always have a family outing to Yarmouth easter weekend! LOL....too many holidays there as kids! LOL!

We bought the father in law a Kindle for his birthday. Neat bit of kit. We've got an iPad, which is obviously a much more flexible and powerful device, but I would say that the Kindle screen has the edge as a pure text reader, especially in bright sunlight, and I would imagine the battery life is much better.

I do read digital stuff on my iPhone- in fact, I downloaded The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner just the other night, having felt a desire to read it again after about 30-years! :)

Thin AND cultured! You, sir, are quite the catch ;)

I'm still in the honeymoon period with my iphone, and use it for pretty much everything!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Cool! Might have to get me something like that then.

Are there any reasonable alternatives to iPads? They're a bit too much for me to justify atm. I'll do a search and my own research anyway but wondering if anyone can talk from experience? Already seen a few running Android.

I mean, how powerful a tablet do I really need for web-browsing, bit of WP and reading a few ebooks? That is all I can see myself using it for tbh.