Strange growths!!

Bacon butty

A friend of mine has a garden pond and has noticed two of her goldfish have strange jelly-like, white growths appearing around the head and gill area. She has removed the fish.

Her next door neighbour, also has a pond and he has lost a large number of his Koi to the same type of growths.

Anyone got any ideas as to what this may be?

Can it be cured?

How can it be prevented?

The pond has been established for four years and no other problems have arisen.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Hmmmmmmmm Dificult to identify without seeing it.

Could be a fungal infection, or a case of "Pop Eye".

Have you topped up your pond with tap water recently ?

The Older I get .. The better I was.

It is hard to diagnose without seeing it, so could you be a bit more specific.

Are these growths firm or soft to the touch. Do they resemble lumps of candle wax and sort of opaque white in colour. Are they rough or smooth or furry.

Possibly Carp pox,

I had a similar problem a few years back with one of my Commons. Pale white waxy growths occured on its tail fin & body each winter, but as soon as summer was on its way it disappeared. After a couple of years the problem cleared up completely & the Common is again immaculate.

I did enquire about the solution to Carp Pox, but was told there was very little you could do about it & that eventually it would clear, which it did.

Carp Pox is temp sensitive & does not appear to do the Carp any real harm other than to look unsightly.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

That was exactly my thoughts Pete, but I was waiting for a response from Bacon to confirm or quash my theory. But as you have said, it is nothing to worry about if carp pox is the cause. It seems to be a winter ailment and has no lasting effects that I know of. As for the niegbours' koi problem, something different maybe?

[ 15. February 2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: allanC ]

No problems MrW, be my turn next it usually is!

Allan, Sorry if I jumped the gun on you there, Carp Pox is one of those pond problems that stick in my mind, due to my beloved Common being affected. Incidentally its a lot more common than people realise.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Thats alright Peter. Carp pox was the first problem I had to deal with when I started keeping Koi, then I found out it wasn't a problem after all. It just looks worse than it is.

I just hope Bacons problem is this simple to deal with.