fish pond. any keepers out there?

me

How recently are you supposed to feed your pond fish around this time of year? I have a 5ft x 3ft x 2ft deep pond but i dont know how often to feed the fish in it. :confused:

Also ive had some frogs bourne in the pond millions of the stuff. how many frogs usually survive out of say 400 little frogs bourne things ?? :confused:

thanks,

Taffy :P

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...

hi me,

eric & eric the fish have both been pretty ravenous since the weather warmed up. i feed them twice a day, just enough so that theres none left over after a couple of hours, takes them that long to find it thru the weed. if there is still some floating in the eve, i dont feed em till morning.

all my frogspawn has turned white inside, i assume it wasnt fertilised :( afraid fish find tadpoles a tasty snack, but even without fish in my bottom pond, only 3 or 4 make it to be frogs, think they eat each other.

had one of those global warming orange frogs a few years back. :)

They're all in the top pond the tad poles now. Theres only sticklebacks and lots of plants in there. i put 4 sticklebacks in both ponds about 2 years ago now thers like 200 in each.

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...

wow, will sticklebacks live with eric & eric the goldfish ? or will they eat each other?

havn't seen a stickleback since i was a kid, down brittans pond near guildford.

can i have some of yours nathan ? os qeluch n' da :)

i think you mean os gwelwch yn dda. lol.

Ive known of this small gutter/stream within a 5 minutes walk of my house since i woz a small boy. i used to go paddling in it and so did other kids in the summer this woz around 8-9 years ago when i woz 6-7.

i passed it a couple of years ago and saw children catching fish with their nets and puttin them in a bucket. so i did the same catching 16. there where 12 females and 4 males i did this so they would breed. i was surprised a year later that they where still alive to think they came from a flowing stream.

now i have hundreds of the 3 spined little things.

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...

diolch yn vaur nathan,

sorry about spelling, we didn't spell in the slate quarry, only spoke. i was the only "sais bastad " in the place, tea breaks were a mystery to me.

nice about the sticklebacks, going to have to find some now. :)

so which slate quarry did you work in? Llanberis? that must have been some years ago.

i think you mean:

diolch yn fawr.

O rite the english bastad that aint very nice is it. better than being a farmer innit i suppose.

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...

dim llanberis, llechwedd quarry in blaenau ffestiniog. it was ok, most of the lads were very nice ( despite my lack of cymraig )

i got to do farming too :D

good bit about the quarry was, we got to go out & plant gravestones after we had carved them, lots of trout in the streams in the church yards.

wot bit of wales you in again ?

Im in Aberystwyth boyo :P

Sticklebacks breed like nuts and they are very hardy. I have kept a few in my time for my studies. The reason you get such large numbers is the low infant mortatily rate compared to most fish. This is because sticklebacks are good parents :) . The male builds a nest for the female to lay her egss, then the male guards it with his life. They will peck other fish to death lol :D . The males are also attracted to the colour red