Pond Waterfalls

JBee123

My Father in law has a nice pond and has just invested in a new filter and pump which has cleaned it up a treat.

Rather than just running the contents of the filter straight back into the pond he wants to get a waterfall feature to run the water back into the pond.

Anyone know of any cheapy ones that dont look plastic or like someone has emptied the contents of a Cement mixer into a mould!

He'd be better off building one using liner, in my opinion. Even the best fibreglass ones never look quite right to me. The trick is to line a much larger area than the stream itself, build the stream using rocks and then cover the whole thing in plenty of gravel so that none of the liner is visible. At first the water will flow through the gravel rather than ove it, but it quickly gets compacted and blocked, and the water then flows over it.

Unless the pond is sitting in a situation where you might expect to see a waterfall, ie. not in a flat suburban garden, then whatever you do can look a bit naff. If the surroundings do suit it then like Steve says it's better to make one from a flexible liner and a lot of rock. If you don't have a waterfall then make sure that the water from the filter return splashes back in, don't put it underwater, because a biological filter removes oxygen and it needs to be replaced.

I bought a couple of planter half barrels, split the output from the filter (sat each barrel in a corner), drilled a high hole in the back of the barrel and a lower hold in the front, and lined it with pond liner accordingly.

This creates two jets of water from the barrels which looks very nice, and you can plant the barrels up with various floating pond flowers to make them look even nicer.

Might not suit all ponds. Mine is built up from railway sleepers so it actually looks quite good.

The barrels were about £12 from a garden centre (note buy planters. pre-lined half-barrels are about £70 each, and they are dead easy to line yourself with pond liner!!)

Ian W

Even on a flat garden you can build a back-drop to your pool making a waterfall look good.

The liner is Ok for a stream and should be used for a waterfall but with a different slant.

Fabricate the basic shape and levels of the pool from concrete and blocks, cover with sand on horizonal areas and foam or old carpet on verticle faces.

Cover with pond liner and then build your rock fall, large pieces of coal make an ideal medium for building with and once weathered blend in with almost any situation.

There are lots of cheap and effective ways of constructing a pool and falls.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist