Bream/Temch session

Anthony78

That's supposed to be Tench by the way :P

I've never fished Linear fisheries before and have heard some horror stories about the place but I simply cannot ignore the double figure tench and bream which regularly get caught this time of year.

I'm going to steer clear over the bank holiday weekend and head down there on Tuesday when I hope that everyone will be heading back to work.

Having not fished it before I'm undecided on baiting stratagies for the 4 days I'll be fishing there. I'll be fishing for the tench during the day down the marginal shelf and on the gravel slopes and at night will put all 3 rods out for the bream.

My current options are:

1. Black crumb laced with mollasses/dead maggots
  2. Pellets and fishmeal groundbait
  3. Corn, hemp and maggot (will probably take these for the tench anyway but would it work for the bream?)

Any further advice would be most welcome as always

Regards

Ant

Edited by Anthony78

Effort equals reward!!

I've never fished there, but I might pop down one evening to say hello if you don't mind a bit of company :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

St Johns have some great Pike in it but have only ever fished it for them. I think if it was more local i would give it a go a bit more

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

That's supposed to be Tench by the way :P

I've never fished Linear fisheries before and have heard some horror stories about the place but I simply cannot ignore the double figure tench and bream which regularly get caught this time of year.

I'm going to steer clear over the bank holiday weekend and head down there on Tuesday when I hope that everyone will be heading back to work.

Having not fished it before I'm undecided on baiting stratagies for the 4 days I'll be fishing there. I'll be fishing for the tench during the day down the marginal shelf and on the gravel slopes and at night will put all 3 rods out for the bream.

My current options are:

1. Black crumb laced with mollasses/dead maggots
  2. Pellets and fishmeal groundbait
  3. Corn, hemp and maggot (will probably take these for the tench anyway but would it work for the bream?)

Any further advice would be most welcome as always

Regards

Ant

Hi Ant!

Its been years since I fished there but the above sounds like a good plan! Which lake are you heading for? I would definitely ring Roy Parsons to chat, but bear in mind I've never known him say the fishing is slow!

It might well be worth a walk of the banks early on if you can and if its sunny. The margins are deep and the water is very clear so it is quite possible to find tench just by watching the margins (I lost a monster years ago that I stalked in the margins :angry:)

Also the carpers are likely to be quite free with info about tench.

Rich

I've never fished there, but I might pop down one evening to say hello if you don't mind a bit of company :)

Andrew, you'd be very welcome. Especially if you happenned to pass a chinese takeway on your way down ;)

Just kidding mate. It would be great to catch up and I can pick your brains if I'm not doing so well.

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Hi Ant!

Its been years since I fished there but the above sounds like a good plan! Which lake are you heading for? I would definitely ring Roy Parsons to chat, but bear in mind I've never known him say the fishing is slow!

It might well be worth a walk of the banks early on if you can and if its sunny. The margins are deep and the water is very clear so it is quite possible to find tench just by watching the margins (I lost a monster years ago that I stalked in the margins :angry:)

Also the carpers are likely to be quite free with info about tench.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I was thinking of heading to Smiths/Hardwick but I'm open to suggestions?

I might head down there the evening before so I can look out for bream rolling and speak to those packing up after the weekend. Should hopefully give me an idea of which side of the lake the shoals are in. Do you think the bream will have headed into the shallows yet?

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Hi Rich,

I was thinking of heading to Smiths/Hardwick but I'm open to suggestions?

I might head down there the evening before so I can look out for bream rolling and speak to those packing up after the weekend. Should hopefully give me an idea of which side of the lake the shoals are in. Do you think the bream will have headed into the shallows yet?

Ant

Hi Ant

Don't know the fishery at all but have been bream fishing big stillwaters since the river season ended for the larger fish and have done very well as I do most years.

The fish are well tuberculed up and getting ready for spawning.

I have been catching in 17ft but its a deep venue and saturday night I had a mate fishing alongside and he caught fish before they came to my groundbait etc. He was fishing the side that gets shallower where they spawn so I guess they are moving up and down over spawning grounds looking for the spot.

I hope you are fishing nights as through the winter it has been the only productive times on the waters I have fished. Apoligies just read your post again and you are a proper angler and are doing nights sounds like a good plan you have.

Hope this helps

John

Edited by John Weddup

Just to add

normally this time of year the roach suddenly turn off on the stillwaters I fish and you can fish maggots 2 3 or more and not get pestered. Obviously they are a good casting bait.

This year I have gone straight to sweetcorn one false neutral bouyancy and 2 or 3 peices of real. All on a hair. This casts well aswell.

What distances are you fishing at Linear?.

I have been using method feeders a lot recently on distance work as you can bury hook and have a tangle free rig. i also am now using more PVA stockings for same reason.

John

Andrew, you'd be very welcome. Especially if you happenned to pass a chinese takeway on your way down ;)

Just kidding mate. It would be great to catch up and I can pick your brains if I'm not doing so well.

Ant

No need old chap, they've got takeaway menus pinned to the photo boards in the car park, they'll bring your pizza/curry/Chinese to the gates!

It would be good to catch up so if you let me know when you're there I'll certainly pop over and say hello. Something nice to do on an after work evening :) Hopefully it won't be too busy for you.

Ps there is a secret option of buying a club ticket for about the same money as a few days at linear, with the chance of very big tench...pm if you want details.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi John,

Yep, I'll be doing 4 days and 4 nights so planning to target the bream at night and tench during the day.

Distance will depend purely on what features I can find. I am definately no expert when it comes to bream fishing but I do know enough to look for shallow silt between gravel bars etc so will look for an area like this before I get the distance gear out.

I did well on maggot bolt feeder tactics for the tench last year but have also done very well on small method feeder tactics this spring and have already started to bag a few tench to 6lb on my local estate lake. This will give me confidence in both tactics depending what is best on the day.

I can't imagine the shoals at linear are as big as in some of the waters you fish but how much bait would you feed initially?

Regards

Ant

Effort equals reward!!