Maple peas

Guest Chris Perch

Guest Chris Perch

Im thinking of using maple peas this year as one of the waters i intend to fish for carp has a tiger nut ban.

I have never used them before but several books rate them highly.

Have you used them and how did you get on?

I would probably fish them with a bed of hemp and two or three over the top.

any tips or advice would be most welcomed.

I opened up this topic after thinking that we were on about gardening again. ;)

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

As for the peas if its a commercial fishery it will work and probably quite well. i don't really appreciate commercial carp for that matter, they seem to eat anything very readily but that's not to say i don't think a commercial carp fishery can be a lot of fun at times and a pleasant break from constant blanks :D

Emma, going by some of the threads in the fishing section recently i wouldnt have been at all surprised. theres a non fishing section for that ye know :D

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I used them on a water with a boilie ban some years ago - Caught approx 40 carp in ten short sessions.

I hair rigged three peas on a size 7 or 9 longshank hook and wrapped the peas in trout pellet paste which broke down around them for added attraction. After every session I feed an area with the remaining trout pellet paste as a binder for getting the peas across to the spot IE pull of a small ball of paste - squeeze on a handfull of maples and fire across with catty. Much quicker than spodding them.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Guest Chris Perch
I used them on a water with a boilie ban some years ago - Caught approx 40 carp in ten short sessions.

I hair rigged three peas on a size 7 or 9 longshank hook and wrapped the peas in trout pellet paste which broke down around them for added attraction. After every session I feed an area with the remaining trout pellet paste as a binder for getting the peas across to the spot IE pull of a small ball of paste - squeeze on a handfull of maples and fire across with catty. Much quicker than spodding them.

Hmm yes very interesting idea that and might well give it a try.

i was thinking hemp and maples for close range but that is something very different and well worth a try and would work well at longer range too.

thx

I'm sure someone posted a list of particles on here a while back and rated them in terms of their effectiveness.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest Chris Perch
I'm sure someone posted a list of particles on here a while back and rated them in terms of their effectiveness.

That would be interesting to see any idea what the thread was called?

No - and when I tried a search, it got swamped with hits.

Edit: Found it. It was post #11 here. It was only a top five - memory does that sometimes.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Im thinking of using maple peas this year as one of the waters i intend to fish for carp has a tiger nut ban.

I have never used them before but several books rate them highly.

Have you used them and how did you get on?

I would probably fish them with a bed of hemp and two or three over the top.

any tips or advice would be most welcomed.

I have used Maple peas quite a lot in the past and caught a lot of fish on them not all big I will admit, I used to use a little hemp also, but fished them in PVA bags. I did find that by pre-baiting with them if allowed on your water is a big advantage especially if you can get to the water regular as they seem to be not used that offend these days well not on the waters i fish. I did find that by putting al ot of hemp in had two effects either the fish would shy off it if a pressured water or they preoccupied on it so would say use only a little. hence why I prebaied with them and started using pva friendly hemp in the bags. I used to fish single peas or double on a small hook. worked for me!

http://www.lurepro.co.uk