Fishing For Carp

crazycarphunter

Hey guys,

My bro has just started fishing a reservoir that is hardly fished. He is used to fishing commercial lakes and catching some decent carp and bream, but he isnt catching on here. He has tried many different tactics but is struggling...

does anybody know the best rigs and baits to use on a reservoir? Boilies etc dont work...

thanks in advance

Mad on fishing but don't have a clue how to fish :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chris Perch
Hey guys,

My bro has just started fishing a reservoir that is hardly fished. He is used to fishing commercial lakes and catching some decent carp and bream, but he isnt catching on here. He has tried many different tactics but is struggling...

does anybody know the best rigs and baits to use on a reservoir? Boilies etc dont work...

thanks in advance

How big is the reservoir - what features - do you have a rough idea of how many carp are in there?

How big is the reservoir - what features - do you have a rough idea of how many carp are in there?

Not sure on size, its not exactly big lol. No features just a few weeds around the edges. Theres supposedly over 1500 fish in there and I think around 100 carp ranging in different sizes, the biggest being around 20lbs...

I have told him to try fishing more natural baits like slugs and snails etc but I dont know if he has done...

Guest Chris Perch
Not sure on size, its not exactly big lol. No features just a few weeds around the edges. Theres supposedly over 1500 fish in there and I think around 100 carp ranging in different sizes, the biggest being around 20lbs...

I have told him to try fishing more natural baits like slugs and snails etc but I dont know if he has done...

I would give tiger nuts a go if allowed with a bit of hemp they seem to work on most waters i have fished?

Also is it a deep water cos zigs might work well

I would give tiger nuts a go if allowed with a bit of hemp they seem to work on most waters i have fished?

Also is it a deep water cos zigs might work well

I think its deepest point is 18ft.

Im going up to fish it in the next couple of weeks so if he doesnt get up before then I can try this and see if it helps, are tiger nuts dear to buy, can they be made easily enough?

cheers

Theres supposedly over 1500 fish in there and I think around 100 carp ranging in different sizes, the biggest being around 20lbs...

That's a suspiciously accurate assessment for a water that isn't fished.

How old is this water ?

Either way, I'd fish generically for whatever comes along with a simple feeder. fish a mix of baits and if you are catching "nuisance" fish to often, up the size and hardness of your baits appropriately - from maggotts to corn to boilies etc.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

That's a suspiciously accurate assessment for a water that isn't fished.

How old is this water ?

Either way, I'd fish generically for whatever comes along with a simple feeder. fish a mix of baits and if you are catching "nuisance" fish to often, up the size and hardness of your baits appropriately - from maggotts to corn to boilies etc.

It is fished, just not to often, maybe a few times a month, nothing compared to the commercial lakes. I think it used to get fished quite often, either that or the place has just been stocked?

In 72 hours of fishing it my bro and his mate had 1 bite between them, no nuisance fish or anything. I walked around it and saw some big car basking in the sun, but non feeding, later in the evening a few fed off the surface but that was it. They just dont seem to take anything on the hook...to be honest my bro tried fishing the surface with bread, he also threw some small pieces of bread on the top and nothing...

he has mainly used the feeder with a couple of different types of groundbait (dont ask what cause I dont know lol) an he had nothing. They have tried luncheon meat, sweetcorn, maggotts, boilies, worms etc I think the bite came off the worm or bread...cant remember which..

Do the same rules apply here for the carp or is it totally different since they wont be used to seeing boilies?

As you say, it's not a commercial with an artificially high stocking level where fish have no option other than to eat baits and will come to stuff dropping into the water like there's a dinner bell ringing, it's a more natural water where you will need to find your fish and then try to tempt them.

Do a bit of research by asking around about where fish are caught or by watching other anglers and/or plumbing the depth.

Once you settle on a peg, I would suggest that you fed two locations and fish tightly to one spot before transferring your attention to the other. Stick to no more than these two spots and feed/cast to them accurately and avoid random casting about because whether it's roach or carp, the aim is to locate them, concentrate them and ideally get them to compete for your offerings.

It's a long time since I did this stuff on a regular basis but the basics don't change that much.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest Chris Perch

It sounds like a very deep water so in the hot weather try a zig rig on one rod (I like a trimmed down white pop up for zigs)

But you can use other bouyant baits Black foam etc

When its cooler i would try to find areas that are slightly shallower ie sloping margins and fish them but some work with a marker rod may be necesary to find these spots.

As for tiger nuts I usually buy a tin from the tackle shops ( ready cooked ) tie up a rig with two drilled out tigers on it and insert a piece of cork stick into it I find it best to balance the cork so it just sinks.