In memorey of a good friend

Dick Dastardly

Mike, that sounds perfect! Many thanks.

The swim was flooded just before Newt & Jan arrived for the 2006 Fish-In. It was a rush to sort access to the swim in time! So the fact it likes a wetland habitat is perfect.

We wouldn't want it to overhang the water though. It's in a small copse and so it may be that we'd have to clear behind the swim if it's a species that spreads a lot. That wouldn't be a problem at all.

Many thanks again!

BTW, are you coming to the Fish-In the weekend after next?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, that sounds perfect! Many thanks.

The swim was flooded just before Newt & Jan arrived for the 2006 Fish-In. It was a rush to sort access to the swim in time! So the fact it likes a wetland habitat is perfect.

We wouldn't want it to overhang the water though. It's in a small copse and so it may be that we'd have to clear behind the swim if it's a species that spreads a lot. That wouldn't be a problem at all.

Many thanks again!

BTW, are you coming to the Fish-In the weekend after next?

It will love being flooded from time to time - it's natural habitat is flood meadows. I will get a couple then and get them to you somehow.

Unfortunately, I can't get to the Fish-In - my work and family commitments at the moment are such that I have no time for fishing at the moment. However, I still have Wingham on my list of things to do so will maintain my registration of interest for now. Maybe next year!

Regards

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Thanks again, Mike. :clap2:

They seem a perfect choice.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I am a professional Arboriculturist - I am sure I can help select a tree for the site.

If it can't be non-native that rules out american species and a few immediately sprung to mind, but the important thing about selection is not just the soil, but the site itself - aspect, shade and space available to the tree once established. For instance, does it need to tall and narrow, or open and spreading? Can it hang over the water or will it need pruning if it does? Are there lots of squirrels to ring bark it? These are as important factors as the soil if it is to be a sustainable planting.

If you want to send me pictures of the site and an indication of the soil type and moisture content I'll make some suggestions. However, here is an initial thought;

The native black poplar (Populus nigra ssp. betulifolia) is a very rare and majestic native uk tree. Unusually, female black poplar are even more rare, and I have to a small stock of female black poplar cuttings taken [legally] from veteran trees that I can donate. It will be about a metre or so, in a small 3 litre pot and would be a fitting tree to be planted in her memory. I can get at least two, in case of initial planting failure. It would also add to the value of the site, and cuttings can be taken form the tree for use in other sites.

Does this sound like it fits the bill? Black Poplar Conservation

Regards

Mike

Mike - how easy is it to get a black tree ( native black poplar (Populus nigra ssp. betulifolia) is a very rare and majestic native uk tree) for wingham? I hav been looking online and having a job to get one - got any suggestions on where I can get one in time?

Edited by Andrew Burgess

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Andrew, did you miss that Mike was kindly going to donate a couple of black poplars? This seems to be an ideal choice for the swim we now call Newt and Jan's, where they fished.

I also like your suggestion via PM of a wisteria for the clubhouse. Like Jan, it's one of my favourite trees with a gorgeous one on the back way to the lakes, and it's doubly appropriate as it comes into flower now, the time when Jan visited Wingham.

Mike, are you able to get the black poplar to me by post or courier by the end of next week?

Alternatively, if Mike can't get it to Wingham in time for the dedication perhaps it may be an idea to plant a wisteria at the clubhouse this year, followed by the black poplar at the swim in the future, perhaps next year?

Edited by Steve Burke

Andrew, did you miss that Mike was kindly going to donate a couple of black poplars? This seems to be an ideal choice for the swim we now call Newt and Jan's, where they fished.

I also like your suggestion via PM of a wisteria for the clubhouse. Like Jan, it's one of my favourite trees with a gorgeous one on the back way to the lakes, and it's doubly appropriate as it comes into flower now, the time when Jan visited Wingham.

Mike, are you able to get the black poplar to me by post or courier by the end of next week?

Alternatively, if Mike can't get it to Wingham in time for the dedication perhaps it may be an idea to plant a wisteria at the clubhouse this year, followed by the black poplar at the swim in the future, perhaps next year?

Whoops - yeah I did miss the thread a bit - i guess i was panicking a bit there! :doh: Well If Mike can do it that ( donating the blackpopular/trees) then it will save me a hassle a bit as I am up to my eyeballs with works atthe moment and not forgetting the my right leg playing up over the weekend and back on the antibiotics

Will go and do a couple of Wisteria for the clubhouse :thumbs:

Whoops - yeah I did miss the thread a bit - i guess i was panicking a bit there! :doh: Well If Mike can do it that ( donating the blackpopular/trees) then it will save me a hassle a bit as I am up to my eyeballs with works atthe moment and not forgetting the my right leg playing up over the weekend and back on the antibiotics

Will go and do a couple of Wisteria for the clubhouse :thumbs:

I can try to get it to you by the end of the week, but it may be better if it were collected. I am up to my eyes in work at the moment too. I'll try and get it for Wednesday, then if somone can collect it? I haven't had time to get to the nursery where they are stored yet. It's important not to buy one, as you won't get a female and you certainly won't get one of Local South East provenance (well it's unlikely).

Careful with the wisteria, they need to be in the sun (preferably south but west will do) and with there roots in the shade. Wisteria floribunda ‘Violacea Plena’ is a good one, it has double violet-purple flowers in extremely long racemes of 20cm or more.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I can try to get it to you by the end of the week, but it may be better if it were collected. I am up to my eyes in work at the moment too. I'll try and get it for Wednesday, then if somone can collect it? I haven't had time to get to the nursery where they are stored yet. It's important not to buy one, as you won't get a female and you certainly won't get one of Local South East provenance (well it's unlikely).

Careful with the wisteria, they need to be in the sun (preferably south but west will do) and with there roots in the shade. Wisteria floribunda ‘Violacea Plena’ is a good one, it has double violet-purple flowers in extremely long racemes of 20cm or more.

Where about are you and the nursery?

Fantastic idea budgie, great choice of trees. Hope all goes well. You just remember Jan will be watching!

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?