Life Priorities

davidP

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to resurrect this thread but let me tell you where my life has been this past month. The problems have not been as bad as some but in my life very disturbing. I do get asthma but only have to use a couple of inhalers to control it and not very often. Last month we went to see a band, got very hot and sweaty and then waited outside in the cold to see the band. As a result 2 days later I was in hospital with a chest infection. Being unable to breath at 4am and getting carted of by ambulance aint fun. So they pack me off home with advice and more inhalers which after week of feeling better I forget to take. Weekend before last a similar story, band, hot, cold, sweaty and by tuesday my missis is dragging me off to A and E. So I end up in a chest ward. The next day she visits and is also ill. Thursday AM the nurse says she is in with suspected pneumonia. Now she ends up on the same ward. Most of the people in here are dying, not straight away but very slowly and mainly of smoking related illnesses. Now I've only smoked a little just a bit of weed for a few months but apart from that I cannot stand the taste or smell. My missis probably does 20-30 a day so if we are at home it gets pretty unpleasant. After my 1st episode in hospital she said she wouldn't smoke in the house again. Once the weather got colder that soon changed. There were 5 others in my ward, 2 were on permanent oxygen. 2 had other non smoking problems and the other(a self confessed heavy smoker) a punctured lung. The 2 other smokers had oxygen rigged around their house permanently. If you see the advert on the telly with the woman on oxygen that's their situation.....for GOOD...for EVER until they die! And its going to get worse. Now ok if you think to yourself I'll just carry on and if it gets me so what! Fine, you die a long slow painful death. But all the while you do your family are living this long slow painful death with you!

This may all sound a bit dramatic but whilst there 2 people died, one on Lisas ward and another elsewhere. Maybe not from smoking but its a bit sobering when I hear the nurse calling for family and a chaplain on the phone. So people do yourselves a favour, if your smoking and/or unfit if nothing think about those you leave behind. It's not just your life, it's also about the lives of your nearest and dearest. To think other wise is just ultimately selfish!

We're both home now(yesterday), Lisa is still rough but hasn't smoked for a few days. I'm a lot better and hope to go back to work next week. I'm sorry to go on but this week has been one of those weeks.

Rant Over!!

Colin

I am dyslexic of Borg, refistance is sutile.............your ass will be laminated!

Colin Payne:

if nothing think about those you leave behind. It's not just your life, it's also about the lives of your nearest and dearest. To think other wise is just ultimately selfish!

And what about your dog?

His best friend is suddenly gone.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Jim Roper:

Jim Roper:

if nothing think about those you leave behind. It's not just your life, it's also about the lives of your nearest and dearest. To think other wise is just ultimately selfish!

And what about your dog?

His best friend is suddenly gone.

That'll be cats in my case!! :D:D:D ....and no they don't cause the asthma!!

[ 25. November 2003, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Colin Payne ]

I am dyslexic of Borg, refistance is sutile.............your ass will be laminated!

Funny thing.

I've always been fairly fit and, in recent years, watched what I eat etc., (gave up smoking around 30 years ago) but last year, after a winter when I seemed to get one cold after another, I kind of let my fitness go.

I still cycled to work (around 5 miles), but found myself getting off to walk up the hills, feeling my age creeping up on me.

Then I found my blood pressure had gone up.

That was a wake up call to put in a bit more effort.

Ate less, cut out the 2/3 pints a night, gradually pushed myself physically harder and harder. Not all in one go, but building up gradually.

BP went down, weight went down, hills are no problem, and I feel great most of the time.

Not getting so tired and ready for anything most of the time. Back pain and sciatica seem to have gone too :)

I thought that my slowing down, and increasing weight, was just my age creeping up on me, something I had to accept - but not so!

I'm enjoying life so much more, physically and mentally :)

Getting back to being fit ain't so easy, but the high you live being so is worth it all :)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon?

I`ve found, that cutting hills out. Is a great idea. Better still, drive up them, leave the bike at home.

Never get involved in arguements until your 6th pint.

And on no account eat the rabbit food supplied with the raw steak!!

Be as bloody minded as you like. Eat, smoke and drink whatever and whenever you like.

You`ll then be a likely candidate for the European Parliament!!

:rolleyes: Paul. :rolleyes:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!