Windows update problems.

My Son has an Advent 5511 laptop about 4 years old.

His platform is a legitimate copy of Vista Home Premium, which came with the Laptop from new.

The problem is that he had an error that caused a loop on his system and it would not boot.

It continued to state an unexpected shutdown caused an error and you can either start normally or run a fix programme.

Eventually, I was able to get to a point where I could repair by completely reinstalling Vista.

Successfully, or so it seemed, it reinstalled itself and my Son was able to boot.

Next he initiated network connection and installed his chosen security software, NIS 2011.

Next he allowed windows to auto update, which resulted in any of the following:

1. An immediate BSOD.

2. A full system shutdown that allowed startup in safe mode only or normal start.

3. A shutdown where updates installed before closing off, which remained 45/77 for 13 hours.

On almost every startup he now gets this message also.

DSC01180.jpg

Any help in resolving this would be appreciated...

My Son has an Advent 5511 laptop about 4 years old.

His platform is a legitimate copy of Vista Home Premium, which came with the Laptop from new.

The problem is that he had an error that caused a loop on his system and it would not boot.

It continued to state an unexpected shutdown caused an error and you can either start normally or run a fix programme.

Eventually, I was able to get to a point where I could repair by completely reinstalling Vista.

Successfully, or so it seemed, it reinstalled itself and my Son was able to boot.

Next he initiated network connection and installed his chosen security software, NIS 2011.

Next he allowed windows to auto update, which resulted in any of the following:

1. An immediate BSOD.

2. A full system shutdown that allowed startup in safe mode only or normal start.

3. A shutdown where updates installed before closing off, which remained 45/77 for 13 hours.

On almost every startup he now gets this message also.

DSC01180.jpg

Any help in resolving this would be appreciated...

personally i wouldnt be running a repair on that.

it sounds far too buggered to replace the OS with a repair installation.

chances are your looking at seriously corrupt registry entrees etc

for me id format and do a full clean install. the issue with that is your going to have some solution to back up his data.

the issue your seeing is because that messenger application which is installed isnt compatible with some of the upadtes that have been done or the software it requires to run properly isnt installed or has become corrupt.

in all honesty a complete format and re-install will save you alot of time and effort!

personally i wouldnt be running a repair on that.

it sounds far too buggered to replace the OS with a repair installation.

chances are your looking at seriously corrupt registry entrees etc

for me id format and do a full clean install. the issue with that is your going to have some solution to back up his data.

the issue your seeing is because that messenger application which is installed isnt compatible with some of the upadtes that have been done or the software it requires to run properly isnt installed or has become corrupt.

in all honesty a complete format and re-install will save you alot of time and effort!

Few further questions.

1. As no original disc was provided, just the pre-installation and product key, when I purchased, can the programme, Windows Vista Premium, be safely downloaded?

2. Will the special function keys on the laptop need special driver downloads?

Thank you for your assistance so far.

Few further questions.

1. As no original disc was provided, just the pre-installation and product key, when I purchased, can the programme, Windows Vista Premium, be safely downloaded?

2. Will the special function keys on the laptop need special driver downloads?

Thank you for your assistance so far.

In the case of no software cd being provided you will have had one of two options. First the system might have a restore partition with a factory default image on it. Second you may well have been prompted, on first boot, to create a rescue cd/ DVD which would have copied a restore image to a cd for you to restore the laptop to factory defaults.

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/5511.htm

This lists the various options, but be warned restoring to factory settings will destroy all data on the hard drive, losing all files etc and wiping it with a clean version of the OS.

If you don't have those options then you need to track down the version of vista you hav the key for....it's possible to borrow someone's copy and install from that but input your key...it will work as long as the version is the same...ie not vista sr2 when your original install key is vista sr1. And of course if it ran home premium then installing ultimate or business won't play ball with your key.

Special function keys will need drivers..usually avaialble online somewhere or other

http://www.gennersales.co.uk/reimagevista/...starecovery.htm

Places like these allow you to buy new restore disks if need be.

If it was me...I'd buy an OEM coy of win 7!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-OEM-soft...3435&sr=8-2

It should play ball on that laptop, probably install all drivers automatically, and will run a lot faster and more stable than vista!

So you have a few options :)

I second the Win7 suggestion.

Vista can run fine as long as it likes all the hardware & drivers which usually happens with the factory install on a laptop. Otherwise it tends to be a real horror tale with an unending list of glitches & errors that never really seem to end.

Win7 is happy with most any decent hardware and won't give you that sort of issues.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President