is there an american trades description act?

chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

??? "american trades description act"

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

we have an "act" i.e a law which says (more or less)

anything advertised should be truth full (if i saw an add for a green car ,but recieved a blue one then the advert is untruthfull) or a heater has 3 heat settings but it only has 2 then the person is breaking the trades description act and could be punished (this is not a statement of fact just rough examples)

the reason i drew attention to this url is the reference to "top of the line " untrue the black prince was the bottom of the line (a cheap and nasty boys reel)and "one of englands best reelmakers" although the intrepid series had introduced a few innovations ( camatic line lay and a bailarm roller) few people would put them on a par with hardy etc ,in the late fifties intrepid had worthy reels but buy the time the black prince came along the firm was on the slippery slope of decline

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

We have a similar regulation.

And I looked at the eBay listing. Just wasn't familiar with the reel.

As you say, the gent advertising it distorted the facts just a tiny bit.

And there is no doubt whatever the fella is violating our rules - brief summary below:

What truth-in-advertising rules apply to advertisers?

Under the Federal Trade Commission Act:

- advertising must be truthful and non-deceptive;

- advertisers must have evidence to back up their claims; and

- advertisements cannot be unfair.

Additional laws apply to ads for specialized products like consumer leases, credit, 900 telephone numbers, and products sold through mail order or telephone sales. And every state has consumer protection laws that govern ads running in that state.

What makes an advertisement deceptive?

According to the FTC's Deception Policy Statement, an ad is deceptive if it contains a statement - or omits information - that:

is likely to mislead consumers acting reasonably under the circumstances; and

is "material" - that is, important to a consumer's decision to buy or use the product.

What makes an advertisement unfair?

According to the Federal Trade Commission Act and the FTC's Unfairness Policy Statement, an ad or business practice is unfair if:

it causes or is likely to cause substantial consumer injury which a consumer could not reasonably avoid; and it is not outweighed by the benefit to consumers.

So it sound like you could take action to make this fella tell the truth but not real sure it is worth the effort.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

i hope he does get his $44 for his reel ,maybe i could start a chesters1 £3 black prince export company

Well hail boys, Truth in Advertising was covered in the seller's description of, "I don't think the reel was used more than once." :D:D:D

Its all in what you want to see, when you look into the horse's internet auction mouth. :D:D

Been peering some myself lately.

:D:D