Why shot and not tungsten?

Dave H

I have never understood why anglers use shot if they want to pop it up or lay it flat on their end rig. Tungsten Putty is so so much better and safer.

Perhaps members could enlighten me otherwise? :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I'm not sure how the putty is any safer than shot since you aren't using lead any more. Fish can certainly poop out any shot they happen to swallow.

Putty - use a blob or two of approximate weight and play around a bit getting it just right or live with not just right.

Shot - known weight so you can put the exact amount you need on the line first try.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'm not sure how the putty is any safer than shot since you aren't using lead any more. Fish can certainly poop out any shot they happen to swallow.

Putty - use a blob or two of approximate weight and play around a bit getting it just right or live with not just right.

Shot - known weight so you can put the exact amount you need on the line first try.

I agree Newt but i find that a much finer balance can be had with tungsten until a perfect balance especially species like finicky bream :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Guest Chris Perch

I prefer to use tungsten over a korda sinker / never comes off no matter how far you cast and can balance it perfectly

It's the same difference isn't it? If you have a shot that's the right weight you may as well use it; if not, a blob of putty.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I kinda failed to grasp the difference myself. I understand that certain rigs might demand putty but if shot will suffice, surely they're quicker and easier to use/manipulate?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Guest Chris Perch

In my experience using shot as pop up weight is a bit unreliable and they occasionally come off either on the cast or when pulling through weed and theres nothing worse than winding in to find your critically ballanced pop up may have been 8" off the bottom all night.

Also they can create a weak spot in the line if pinched on too tight.

Edited by Chris Perch

Dave,

I agree with Newt. Putty is for fiddly fishermen. The goal is to catch fish. I don't agree with your easier or safer statement. I have used a small pack bait (method ball) harder than a marble to determine the depth of a pop-up. That worked.

Chris,

All night?

Phone