Wingham tactics

John Weddup

Some have posted before that they use a rig and set up so they don't see any line bites, just proper ones. I'm different in that I actually want to see the liners.

They tell me what's going on, and that at the very least I've got bream in the area. I can then adapt my fishing to what's happening. It might be winding closer in, it might be recasting. It might be changing the bait or changing the presentation. It certainly wouldn't be feeding though. What's more it tells me that the swim and the area within it is one the bream frequent.

The lads who avoid the liners may get a better night's sleep, but boy do they miss all the excitement. Will one take, won't it? Yes it has, darn it, no it hasn't. A bit like floater fishing isn't it?

But it's not for those with a weak heart!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some have posted before that they use a rig and set up so they don't see any line bites, just proper ones. I'm different in that I actually want to see the liners.

They tell me what's going on, and that at the very least I've got bream in the area. I can then adapt my fishing to what's happening. It might be winding closer in, it might be recasting. It might be changing the bait or changing the presentation. It certainly wouldn't be feeding though. What's more it tells me that the swim and the area within it is one the bream frequent.

The lads who avoid the liners may get a better night's sleep, but boy do they miss all the excitement. Will one take, won't it? Yes it has, darn it, no it hasn't. A bit like floater fishing isn't it?

But it's not for those with a weak heart!

I don't know quite how they manage to setup to avoid liners but like you steve I love to have them.

For me the first sign of catching bream are liners. It is also usefull to make you aware the bream are moving in and of course the more you get the more experience you have in recognising them for what they are.

Its really only when bream get above 5lbs that you really do start to get loads of liners so I suppose on that basis with the very big ones its still more evident.

John

Edited by John Weddup

You won't be in any doubt with the tench, they steam off.

The pike often give very delicate bites with the bobbin gently dancing rather than a proper run.

The perch usually give positive bites but cn sometimes be finnicky and give jerky bites like the pike.

If the bream are milling around you can get the real big line bites, which is where the long drops come in. Striking at one of those will most likely spook them and the chance will be gone. (They are edgy fish and it doesn't take much to frighten them.) When they're feeding on your bait they often give lots of very small liners - single beeps and tiny lifts and drops on the bobbin - that can go on for a long time before a proper bite comes. Again, striking at one of those is likely to spook them off. So for that reason I would definitely wait for a positive indication before striking. It could be a pike, or it could be a 15lb+ bream with its nose under your mainline...

I did quite a bit of fishing for bream in Ireland years back. There were no buzzers then and I used my fingers to feel the line as in touch ledgering you then know whether its bream meandering away in the swim or just weed etc. If I wanted to target them at wingham that is what I would do. If it rained no matter if it was dark no matter because that is the best way to fish for them and if you are after that 20lber I definitely would as you can learn so much more with touch ledgering with finicky fish.

My approach would be to use long bobbins and buzzer in the day and relax close by but at night touch ledger....

You are going to have to put hard work in to get those Bream and what a great victory though to get a 20lb Bream...fantastic!

John. I hate liners if there is any kind of tow and especially if there is weed about or obviously on rivers. if its a quite estate lake you can be quite sure your onto something but can you be sure on a tow. How long do you give it, if its weed you could be there waiting all night for a little bit of weed or a ruddy crayfish. I give it 1 hour and then my 3 bleep plan but like i said above touch legering you will know if its weed or not :)

Me...i can take or leave bream using my worm method for Perch or anything else for that matter.

Edited by Dave H

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Hi

I do use long banksticks and bobbins sometimes but have recently started to use shorter ones again. On occasions I have had all 3 rods with bobbins going up and down like an arcade game but have not struck at line bites.

I tend to judge from the movement what the real takes are. Often the real bite moves the bobbin very little compared with a line bite and generally much slower.

Are that many bream to acheive so many line bites.

Are there lots of bream in the 5 to 10lb class or just the big ones.

The length of bank sticks steve mentioned seem longer than any I have seen used before.

I guess everyone who fishes there has felt the need or do some still use more conventional lengths.

Thanks

John

Hi John,

Good advice already from Anderoo, Dales and the Funky Burkster.

I too am a long drop convert, not least because as well as the line bite issue I find it much easier to fish multiple rods with them set up high. If a hooked fish crosses another line it is a simple job of passing the rod under the others as they are set so high. I think in 5 or so years of fishing upto four rods I have only had a fish wipe out another rod once!

The only difference to my fellow members is that I use very heavy bobbins as I am paranoid about dropback detection and I want to be certain that in the event of a line bite the bobbin is heavy enough to return to the orginal position and so I know if the lead has moved or not.

Rich

The only difference to my fellow members is that I use very heavy bobbins as I am paranoid about dropback detection and I want to be certain that in the event of a line bite the bobbin is heavy enough to return to the orginal position and so I know if the lead has moved or not.

Rich

No different to me there, Rich. I use heavy bobbins for exactly the same reason.

Having said that, the heads themselves are very light, just a Gardner adjustable line clip plus an isotope. However I adjust the weight on mine by adding or subtracting swan shot to the retaining cord (wire in my case because of its stiffness and thus anti-tangling properties). These can also be using to anchor the set up on the ground if it's windy. The indicator is still above the ground to show dropbacks.

Paul (tincatinca) has kindly given me a set of his Swingham drop arm indicators, that are even more stable in the wind. I confess that, due to so little fishing since then, I've not yet used them. In fact, apart from a few hours piking, I've not fished since early June last year! Now our cottage renovation is almost complete I intend putting that right pretty soon.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

If you are in and around Tims point look out for some devious Mallards. I named them bonny and Clyde as they could not resist coming in the bivvy to search for food. I wound a rod in and before I knew it they were in the bivvy on the corn but the female was helping herself to the maggots.

I walked back into the bivvy and the male just carried on eating corn two foot from my hand but not only that decided to wash his beak in my glass of water of which i said that he was rather rude but he looked at me had a preen and looked either way on his way out to find where his girlfriend had gone shouting at her madly!!.

Watch out for the Gangsters around Tim’s point...You have been warned!!

My tactics on Sunday will be turn up havve a good scoff at the BBQ, a few drinks, wander round and say hello to old friends and then go off Trout fishing at Chequertree.

Oh yes I will bring along a case of beer so people can help themselves.

Tony

As you know Tony I will be Saturday only, so unfortunately will miss both Sue and yourself, I guess by some of your recent posts both of you have given proper fishing a rest and are now chucking the fluff :), now here is an idea set me up if you can(spare kit) with some of that fly kit and we can have a day out the three of us somewhere.

If you like the sound of that PM me I am sure you could help me get that fly out into catching land.

Richard.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I did quite a bit of fishing for bream in Ireland years back. There were no buzzers then and I used my fingers to feel the line as in touch ledgering you then know whether its bream meandering away in the swim or just weed etc. If I wanted to target them at wingham that is what I would do. If it rained no matter if it was dark no matter because that is the best way to fish for them and if you are after that 20lber I definitely would as you can learn so much more with touch ledgering with finicky fish.

My approach would be to use long bobbins and buzzer in the day and relax close by but at night touch ledger....

You are going to have to put hard work in to get those Bream and what a great victory though to get a 20lb Bream...fantastic!

Dave, you are mad! Madder than Mad Jack McMad, the winner of last years Mr Madman Competition. Touch Ledger at night for 3 or 4 nights in a row?

If you catch one on that method then you will be a legend and my hero :thumbs:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

As you know Tony I will be Saturday only, so unfortunately will miss both Sue and yourself, I guess by some of your recent posts both of you have given proper fishing a rest and are now chucking the fluff :), now here is an idea set me up if you can(spare kit) with some of that fly kit and we can have a day out the three of us somewhere.

If you like the sound of that PM me I am sure you could help me get that fly out into catching land.

Richard.

Richard

No problem I will PM you we are not short of Fly gear.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Dave, you are mad! Madder than Mad Jack McMad, the winner of last years Mr Madman Competition. Touch Ledger at night for 3 or 4 nights in a row?

If you catch one on that method then you will be a legend and my hero :thumbs:

Well fishing on the Fens during the winter week in week out night and day did leave a scar of madness on me but I can be honest. If I wanted to target that Elusive 20lb Bream. We are talking a 20lb BREAM! Here I would do just that.

General Bream fishing then no I wouldn’t but the odds are stacked so much in the anglers favour here Dale. A lake with very few bream but just a few gigantic ones with a chance of a British record then yeah I would without a doubt touch ledger until my finger fell off!

I did it when i caught the GB record Barbel and i am positive that any other method i would have missed it.