what kinda trace is this ?

Andy_1984

Andy 84, Andy Mac,

I couldn't find an exact duplication of the rig you question. Seen a gazillion of them over the years. Maybe something in the detail is different and I'm not smart enough to notice. They are usually called "quick strike" rigs and have multiple variations.

Here's a URL that is from a pretty responsible institution that recommends them.

http://outdoorcanada.ca/17016/blogs/on-the...nd-so-much-more

Phone

top treble isnt crimped in the rig i found. left like that on purpose to move the top treble up or down for different size baits.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Andy 84,

I'm "out of school" but wouldn't your found rig accomodate different size single baits to be hooked exactly where the angler wanted?

Phone

No pike rig guy here.

Andy 84,

I'm "out of school" but wouldn't your found rig accomodate different size single baits to be hooked exactly where the angler wanted?

Phone

No pike rig guy here.

Phone, a few dead bait rigs I have bought have been similar in function to what you mention however they use a different construction that does not risk damaging the wire in the way that the one andy showed would. There are better ways to acheive the same effect without putting such undue stress on the wire.

Andy, are you sure that this trace had been used and wasnt simply uncrimped because the fella hadnt decided which dead/live bait he would use and thus hadnt crimped it yet to prevent movement?

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

its a well used trace. small amounts of weed stuck to crimp and swivel, slightly rusted hooks and the line damage you see in the picture was the way i found it. i snapped the main wire by hand it was so badly kinked.

Phone, thats what ive been saying all along :) the thing wrong in the pic is its not crimped so the upper treble wont move if a pike has been hooked with both trebles. the anglers been moving it up and down the trace and its so badly damaged its snapped.

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• 1 month later...
Andy 84, Andy Mac,

I couldn't find an exact duplication of the rig you question. Seen a gazillion of them over the years. Maybe something in the detail is different and I'm not smart enough to notice. They are usually called "quick strike" rigs and have multiple variations.

Here's a URL that is from a pretty responsible institution that recommends them.

http://outdoorcanada.ca/17016/blogs/on-the...nd-so-much-more

Phone

I explained clearly why it was a bad trace. Any trace pressure against a sharp edge (like that badly positioned crimp) is bad design.....plain and simple.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...