legal help needed

chesters1

if i was to make a web page concerning a particular reel (intrepid)would i have to consult shakespear (who now own the intrepid logo) even if the reels concerned (the pics of the reels are my pics) were made before shakespear bought the name?

also if i use advertisements printed in old magazines now defunct would i have to track down the firms that may exist today that bought out? these old mags for permission to use them??

any pointers appreciated its probably a minefield out there.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters1,

Maybe Pure Fishing since they own Shakespear. (Maybe or maybe not in the UK?) Or, Outdoor Technologies since they are Pure Fishing. In the US I would go right along with my page until I was asked and cross that bridge when it came up.

Certainly, I would credit the source and use the © ® ™ or other symbols of recognition when appropriate.

Sounds as if you're creating a solution for which there is no problem.

Phone

BTW my LEGAL advice is worth just what you are paying for it, nothing.

[ 06 May 2002, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: phonebush ]

Provided you weren't looking to make money out of the site (or at least from the area related to the reels) I can't see how anybody could really complain. Provided you acknowledge copyright etc then it's no different to the millions of fan sites that exist out there. Having said that, a few courtesy letters will certainly not go amiss, and you may even receive help and offical recognition!

As for the old magazines, copying adverts as opposed to the articles I wouldn't imagine would be a problem as the copyright on the adverts would probably have belonged to the advertiser rather than the magazine (else they wouldn't have been able to have the same advert in different publications). The only thing that might be worth checking out is that with the revival and reprinting of angling litrature the magazine in question hasn't been bought to be reprinting. Quite how you'd check this though I'm not sure and to be honest I wouldn't think that anything from the Intrepid period would be subject to this.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Just another thought - have you looked at Classic Angling Magazine? I noticed an advert for them in Waterlog this month (inside backpage). I've never seen the magazine so I'm not too sure what it covers exactly, but it may be that they could help a bit with information or contacts and may even be interested in you writing an article on the subject :)

The contacts given are to do with subscriptions, but for what they're worth are 01480 463565 or Classic Titles, PMA House, Free Church Passage, St Ives, Cambs PE27 5AY.

Google search finds www.classictitles.com but I can't get any response from it at the moment.

hi i have no problem acknowleding mr morritt ,gladding etc its only being polite ,but do i have to acknowledge shakespear (who were no help at all )concerning products made before they bought the name? i ofcourse would have no problem at all if they contributed to my research ,but the short and to the point reply to my e`mails suggest no info is available

my clumsy attempt to get info on intrepid by putting a letter in the falmouth papers regarding morritt when the factory moved there in the 1960`s seeking anyone that worked there resulted in 1 reply enclosing a "tight lines" abu catalogue :confused: it would be so easy to get abu info but intrepid seems to be a lifetimes commitment :(

the web page will be done when my history is complete ,unless we invent a time machine i doubt very much if it ever will be :(:)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chester1

The chap you want is Keith Elliot at clasic Angling 01480 463565 or Classic Titles, PMA House, Free Church Passage, St Ives, Cambs PE27 5AY.

or my mucker Andy Nicholson the ex MD of Shakespear email if you want Andys number.

Anglingforums Intersite Challenge Champions 2003 and 2004 http://www.anglingforums.co.uk

http://www.total-fishingclub.com

will they have any intrepid info??? :cool:

Do you have to acknowledge Shakespeare? Probably not. But it would probably be politic to do so just to make sure that they can't complain and to keep them as onside as possible. I doubt they'd be up for a fight over it, but why take the risk when it takes 1 line of code to stop it?

your probably right ,i did have a shakespear wonderolla many years ago so their not all bad

hens teeth i could find by the lorry load compared to intrepid info ,everybody probably had one but written material (apart from adds) is impossible to find

It's amazing isn't it how the 'common' things disappear whilst the rare things are known by all. Hardy has had books and books written about them yet only a small minority will ever have owned their tackle whilst everybody had an Intrepid at one time and all the info seems to have been lost.

For what it's worth the guarantee card with my Popular lists the registered office as Intrepid Works, Sunningdale Rd, Cheam, Surrey. The modern A-Z lists this as being in Sutton now though.