Holiday shore fishing...help

Emma two

I will be on the south Devon coast next week, we have been to the place before and I know my way around the fishing a bit, however I am primarily a freshwater angler, pike perch and trout in the main. I plan to fish for mackerel from the rocks, last year I had fun and caught on a sliding float and sandeel bait rig and on spinners, I especially like the latter and it is my method of choice for freshwater too.

TomorrowI am packing up the tackle to take. I have a light spinning/lure set up which I love to use, it is a Savage Gear 8' 'Bushwacker rod and a shimano 'Catana' 3000 reel which at the moment is loaded with 20lb bs 'Powerpro' braid. My question is, will the salt water damage my tackle, and what precautions should I take to avaid this. Will the braid becaome damaged by the sea water too?

Thanks in anticipation of your replies. :)

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Plenty of fresh tap water on the reel as soon as you get back and wash down the ring seats as thats where the salt tends to stick in that little void between the ring seat and blank and months later they just rust off unexpectantly

Salt water won't bother the braid one bit

Yes good advice from Brian :) During the summer :rolleyes: I tend to fish an hour or two every day. I have got into a routine of washing down my rod and reel after EVERY session - it only takes minutes.

I normally do this outside of our caravan. I would fill up a bucket with warm water and drop my reel into this. I would then use a mug and pour water from the bucket over the rod rings and reel seat. I leave the reel in for about an hour each time. On a weekly basis I would also oil the reel.

Any metal lures or poppers I had used would also get a good rinsing.. :) Have a good holiday

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Brian & John,

Thank you both for taking the time to answer my questions. I shall follow your advice.

Emma

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• 2 weeks later...
Just hope the weather calms down a bit for you Emma.

The mackerell won't come in close if the water is muddy. Have a good time down there.

Hiya Zigs,

The weather didn't calm down too much, although we had 2 or 3 days over the week where it wasn't too bad, we still had a good time, our 3rd year down there now.

You are right the water was stirred up by the wind and waves, and I blanked in 2 sessions (spinning and floatfishing sand eels) in the sea. And broke the tip of my 'Bushwacker' :angry: We had a bit better time in freshwater, a day session with lots of roach, rudd and skimmers.

I might travel a bit more widely to fish when down there next year.

I can recommend to anyone going to that area, the tackle shop in Dawlish...it's called, 'Take The Bait' tel 01626 889444

13 Park Road, DAWLISH, Devon, EX7 9LJ

I think I've used that shop in the past :D

Difficult if you don't get the weather. Did you see the trout and eels in the river in Dawlish? Could have dangled a handline off the bridge! :whistling:

I Did you see the trout and eels in the river in Dawlish? Could have dangled a handline off the bridge! :whistling:

I didn't see'em this year, but have in the past.