New Camera Advice Please

nursejudy

i have some long service vouchers to spend

which camera do you think would be best for me

Nikon

Canon

Olympus

Panasonic

I'm a canon man through and through....only just gotten rid of my canon power shot s2. It was a truly superb camera!

I really think you need to look long and hard between either the Nikon or the Canon.

For me I'd go canon because of features like hot shoe for flash and it's a brand I simply trust.

Don't get too bogged down on megapixels, if your never printing larger than a3 then you won't ever use anything above 8 meg effectively anyway!

Hi Judy,

Well all four on your short list are very good camera,s, I would always recommend Nikon as all my DSLR kit is Nikon, however not knowing the camera I would be a little concern about the huge zoom range and the ability of the camera to keep the IQ across 28-1000mm.

The Panasonic has that wonderful Leica lens very good indeed, it also has the ability to shoot in RAW if you need to, IE uncompressed files. This would just edge it for me.

My advice to you as all of the camera,s are closely matched is to go into a shop that has all the models a try them in hand. often the best feel and handling for you will make the decision for you.

Good luck and I cannot wait to see your first postings.

Richard.

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Nikon looks good to me Judy :) That long lens will come in handy for bird shots .

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I'm a Panasonic man myself. Think it's more familiarity than anything but they do work well and the IA (intelligent Auto) mode is exceptional and very user friendly.

Currently have a DMC-FS15 and a DMC-G2.

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

As you guys know i am a big fan of Panasonic on my third one now,

found this in PC World

this camera

as you all know i am hopeless how does the zoom lens on this camera compare to the 41 zoom ,would this camera be idiot proof does it have n automatic setting as i think learning properly may be a retirement project,

thanks as always

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

As you guys know i am a big fan of Panasonic on my third one now,

found this in PC World

this camera

as you all know i am hopeless how does the zoom lens on this camera compare to the 41 zoom ,would this camera be idiot proof does it have n automatic setting as i think learning properly may be a retirement project,

thanks as always

All the eos range have auto stuff. So don't fret about that. idiot proof? Yes if you want it to be....it will start out idiot proof but expand to be whatever you want it to be as well...

Sadly however you simply cannot compare the focal range of an slr lens to the X modifier of a standrad digital zoom. It just doesn't work.

For a ( very) rough idea figure out the equivalent numbers for a lens and divide the larger by the smaller....In this case a 300/75...which give a 4x zoom.

However it's not that simple....sensor size has an effect on the zoom as well...plus slr lens will start at different zooms as well....my sigma 150-500 for instance....that's a 3x zoom give or take but by using it I'm already halfway to the 300 lens zoom before I even start!

In very rough terms...3x is about a 100mm lens...12x is about 430mm

A point and shoot will usually list it's mm equivalent in the specs if you hunt them down.....Take the canon in your original post..the equivalent slr range is 24mm to 840mm Which is the correct 35x zoom.

With my canon lens' in my bag I can do 75-300 mm, 150-500 mm and 18-55 mm giving me a full range of telescopy to use as required.....

Finally if your thinking of going this route then I'd suggest hunting out a 2nd hand eos. eBay has many a bargain priced 450d for half that money...you could spend the rest on a good telescopic lens and tripod etc to have a good kit

Edited by kirisute

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Your choice of Camera is purely personal. What fits your hand best, can you reach the main cotrols easiyl etc.

Practically all DSLR's are capable of superb pictures, but the main factor is the person looking through the viewfinder.

Hope you get what you're looking for....

Dave

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

• 2 weeks later...