Set lines (LakeDistrict !)

Rich_

So you're saying fish suffering doesn't bother you? There's a difference between catching a fish, unhooking it and releasing it than a fish being tethered to a hook for hours.

Suffering? I don't believe fish feel pain.

There may be difference in the two Dave, but i don't think I'm as sure as you of how significant it is.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suffering? I don't believe fish feel pain.

There may be difference in the two Dave, but i don't think I'm as sure as you of how significant it is.

We'll have to agree to disagree then because I think there's a big difference between a fish being caught and released in a matter of minutes or seconds as opposed to a fish being tethered to a crude set line taking god knows how long to die.

I can't get my head round how people can condone this type of thing in any way shape or form. If nothing else they are a serious risk to waterfowl; and that's just what anglers need, someone taking a swan into the RSPCA with line wrapped round it and a treble hook in it. Great publicity.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

We'll have to agree to disagree then because I think there's a big difference between a fish being caught and released in a matter of minutes or seconds as opposed to a fish being tethered to a crude set line taking god knows how long to die.

I can't get my head round how people can condone this type of thing in any way shape or form. If nothing else they are a serious risk to waterfowl; and that's just what anglers need, someone taking a swan into the RSPCA with line wrapped round it and a treble hook in it. Great publicity.

At least next time someone takes a swan to the RSPCA with a load of line wrapped round it, we can blame it on set lining poachers. :)

davedave,

Better get a peta card. Indeed, that's one problem. We, anglers, hold fish in such high esteem we think they "must" meet some of those critera. This is not that thread.

Rich,

A problem over here, (and our situation is quite different) is that if you are caught removing illegal - - ohh - say - - - hoop nets it is evidence they are YOUR nets in possession. We can call local, state or federal officers and the longest response I've heard of is about half an hour. Then, under their supervision, you may remove illegal devices.

I remember a pal who pulled a poached deer out of the woods (with the honest intent of reporting it) and had the look of a deer in headlights as he tried to explain how it was the dead carcus wasn't his to law enforcement officers. They had heard the shots and had come to investigate.

Phone

Lutra - It would be better to not have a bird in that state because of poaching in the first place but if that's how you want to look at it you go ahead.

Phone - I do not need a PETA card. I just have respect for the fish that I catch, and wouldn't allow them to suffer unnecessarily if I could help it. I certainly wouldn't take set lines lightly. Some people are the first to cry out about when the carp boys use fixed leads on unattended bite alarms, but as soon as it's Eastern Europeans they change their tune and don't bat an eyelid.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I think this is an extremely naive way of looking at it. Although I wouldn't tar all EE's with the same brush (in fact all that I have met on the bank have been polite, had both rod and club licenses and kept to the clubs rules) I think it's ignorant to say that they are not taking fish. Just because you 'don't see them' doesn't mean they're not there, they wouldn't be very good poachers if you did see them would they.

And because some drunk English bloke gets drunk and doesn't return a fish properly, that condones Eastern Europeans stealing fish does it?

Set lines are not common practice now, just like things like the gaff and weighing a fish by putting the hook of the scales under the fish's gills aren't.

And just because pike are good to eat doesn't give people permission to set crude set lines for them does it? Would you still shrug it off if you saw a swan or kingfisher caught up in the line?

For gods sake how do you think the pike would have suffered if it had taken the bait, tethered to it for hours as it slowly died.

I think there's a balance on these issues. You get the 'the polish are taking all the fish' brigade, but then you get people like you, who are just as bad with their head in cuckoo cloud land thinking that it's the magic fairies setting these traps and that it's ok because pike are good to eat and everyone used to use set lines in the 60's.

I am quite surprized at the way you have responded to my post. You usually write in a good well thought out way. It looks as though you have created asumptions for me, and then told me off for having them.

How on earth do you get that I condone the 'stealing' of fish....(your word) from pointing out that race isn't always a determining variable when it comes to bad behavoir when fishing.

Set lines may not be a common practice, in your experience anyway, I pointed out that it was done quite openly for coarse fish (game fishin were another matter), usually pike and eels, decades ago, when most East Europeans were doing their thing firmly stuck on the other side of the Iron Curtain.

Why do you implore god to help you point out to me how much fish would suffer on a set line? Pehaps you consider me lacking in imagination?

I don't accept being naive when it comes to what people get up to to catch fish, I worked as a water bailiff in west cumbria throughout the late 80s and the 90s and as such saw a whole range of methods used by a whole range of people too. (non of which were East Europeans of course)

I didn't try to excuse anyone using any method to catch pike, but rather simply agreed with another poster (Steve) over the suitability for lake pike as table fish, and so offering that up as another posible explanation for killing them.

Pointing out what happens does in no way imply my condoning them, and you are quite wrong to take that line (pun) with me, as for the cloud cuckoo land and magic faries comment, well you dissapointingly let yourself down there.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Lutra - It would be better to not have a bird in that state because of poaching in the first place but if that's how you want to look at it you go ahead.

I will Dave because from what i see on a lot of waters up and down angling doesn't have any moral high ground. From anglers that just leave their mess on the bank to fisheries that are over stocked and over fished so the owner can make as much money as possible. IMO anglers calling illegal set liners is like the pot calling the kettle black.

One one water I fish the poachers use devices tied to the wooden legs of the fishing platforms to steal carp ,tench and bream. We now regularly rake the areas in front of the pegs and around marginal trees to remove their lines. Their lines consist of a standard heavy bolt rig / big hook and strong monofilament attached via two 3 way swivels to a couple of lengths of heavy duty pole elastic and then string on a loop to loop round underwater branches and the wooden legs of fishing platforms.

These devices only got discovered by chance as a fellow angler raking his swim prior to fishing, be vigilant. :angry:

Edited by crumpercatcher

set lines on my canal are a major pain in the .... . on almost every point where you would tie your boat on to had a set line for roach and perch hanging off it. thing is i NEVER see the gits doing it, my kitchen window looks out on to the canal and im up till 5am every morning now.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

'Angling club', metaphor for a vanload of big blokes with big sticks ;)
Pull the other one its got bells on, oh no that would be the morris men :D