perch fishing deep rivers and drains

John Weddup

For a static approach on a deep river/drain, I'd echo Steve's post and suggest paternostered lives.

Knowing how many pike are in the fens I guess wire is sensible, but if they're not a problem for whatever reason, I'd replace with flourocarbon. You may get a few bonus zander too.

I've been doing something similar on the Thames, which is deep in places, although nowhere near 20ft. The benefit of the pats is that you can drop baits in good spots and leave them to it. Some things the Thames has taught me so far:

- the best feeding time might not be dawn/dusk; on the Thames, unlike the smaller rivers, these don't appear to be anything special

- the perch can be very hard to catch, even in seemingly good conditions; getting the rigs working well is essential so the baits are well presented and don't cause the baits to be rejected (I'm still working on this)

- 'big' (5") livebaits are taken by perch, even by quite small perch; livebaits in general are not size selective, I've caught perch no longer than the bleak on the hook

- avoid using baits that try to swim upwards (bleak, rudd, etc.) as they cause horrible tangles

- although the perch may spend their inactive time in the snags and tight to cover, when they feed they are out hunting in open water

- for reasons I cannot fathom, some bits of the river contain big perch while others that seem identical do not; the perch do not appear to be transient

I'm glad to hear you're fired up by a new project. I'm doing something similar on a local stillwater, I have a hunch there are some big perch there. No fish yet but it's very interesting, and it's good to refine the rigs before taking them back onto running water. To pass a bit of time in the daytime I've also done a bit of floater fishing for the carp, which has been quite good fun. I haven't even had a bite from a perch yet, although I have watched small ones being very aggressive in hunting fry in the margins. The first take should be electric :)

PS call me closed-minded, but as far as baits go, I'd need to be doing spectacularly badly to switch from lobs and lives to rat slices and rotting pigeon...

Well I would not call you close minded, you are happy with the results you are achieving great keep it up.

You will note I did not mention live baiting in any form this was because it can be such an emotive area for some. ...hehehe... my use of dead natural ingredients is I will reluctantly admit to some not in the best possible taste but it is where I have been when chasing different species over the years and observations gained and results achieved. I can understand how some things I use are not for everyone, but I do not and never will hold that against anyone, well until they tell me it is a waste of time as I will always say try it and see.

We all have a favourite bait and target species often people will have a favourite venue or fishing spot. With the high cost of travel these days more and more are fishing locally, I suggest when you are not happy with what you are catching try something unusual and preferably local to the water you are fishing.

Slugs, snails once removed from their shells, bugs found in the water and on the bank, all these are cheap and free baits.

However to the more affluent I would say grab a jar of bock-wurst sausages slice them in half and lightly fry them in butter or oil or even lard if you are so inclined (I find they stay on the hook better when cooked - but it may depend on the make), some you can leave whole and cut into chunk at the waterside hot dogs and frankfurters also work.

Many may wonder why I do not recommend commercial bait the answer is cost. I pay a small fortune (to me anyway) for my license and numerous club memberships, then another small fortune on line hooks replacement and new tackle, throw in traveling costs and you will realise I have to draw back somewhere I do try out all the recommended commercial baits and have even tried the artificial baits but never had such reliable and good results as I have achieved from the use of natural baits. Frogs used to be a favourite Perch however I have stopped using them for fishing as many species are heading towards being endangered and are in my personal opinion essential to a balanced environment. However I have achieved a modicum of success by cutting a vague frog shape from chicken breast fillets and soaking the shaped chicken fillets in a non toxic green food dye. The colour needs to be more yellow than green as frogs loose their green colour when dead.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou Steve and Anderoo.

When I was learning to use a pole a few years ago I was practicing in a river near me. I was catching perch and was amazed to watch small 4oz fish attacking the tail of larger 8oz plus fish as I was bringing them in. I don't think fish have much conception of their own size so I am not surprised how large fish they will take.

The marginal shelf along the fens is very pronounced and lilly covered and then drops down dramatically to around 18/20ft. Would the ideal spot be alongside the shelf at about the depth of the shelf or do you think they will patrol the deeper water when in a feeding mood. My worm captures have been when fishing the bottom.

Would the sunken paternoster be the best method in the deep water?.

Are you using trebles or one large single hook?.

I find the prospect of autumn exciting these days for whatever species and wherever you fish but perch in the fens has an added appeal.

regards

John

Thankyou Steve and Anderoo.

When I was learning to use a pole a few years ago I was practicing in a river near me. I was catching perch and was amazed to watch small 4oz fish attacking the tail of larger 8oz plus fish as I was bringing them in. I don't think fish have much conception of their own size so I am not surprised how large fish they will take.

The marginal shelf along the fens is very pronounced and lilly covered and then drops down dramatically to around 18/20ft. Would the ideal spot be alongside the shelf at about the depth of the shelf or do you think they will patrol the deeper water when in a feeding mood. My worm captures have been when fishing the bottom.

Would the sunken paternoster be the best method in the deep water?.

Are you using trebles or one large single hook?.

I find the prospect of autumn exciting these days for whatever species and wherever you fish but perch in the fens has an added appeal.

regards

John

Normaly use a big single John and a free running sunk float pat or if under the rod tip sometimes rig one with a float to watch ,used to encorporate a green Sea fishing stand off boom for anti tangle properties and it didn`t appear that the ugly thing put them off......don`t use Rudd they are a nightmare for tangling .

I did try sunk float pat bunches of lobs but the pike liked em to much ,also if under the rod tip big bullet balanced big float if water is deep enough never found the resistance thing to be an issue but that may be venue specific to the Thames .

Try 2 bait tactics side by side to see if any preferance is shown maybe?? .

The dropshotting that Rusty and myself undertook was very selective towards perch but that may have been our lack of skill at the method?? Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I'd be open minded about the best spots, and try everywhere to start with - the marginal shelf might look great but it might be mid depth in the middle of the river where you catch them! Try everywhere.

Sunken float pats would be my first choice but you will probably have to play around with them and with indication to get them working well. Until then check them regularly.

I'm using a single hook, either 6 or 4.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Brilliant thanks to you both again for your help.

Just as zander are a more delicate form of pike fishing so perch are a little further down the same road.

Many big perch have shown in EA checks on the relief and ten mile bank without anyone actually fishing for them specifically so it will be interesting to give it a real go. Headless, who writes here and is an awesome zander angler, will be joining me to target them both .

With 6 rods between us targetting everywhere is a real option and with me staying all weekend I will have time to try many options. In the deep what sort of depth would you fish off the bottom. I would guess at 3 to 4ft.

Whilst I was at wingham Steve mentioned catching tench on zig rigs mean't for perch. I should have remembered more but the discussion was about how fish normally thought of as bottom feeders can be caught up in the water. I was not in catching perch mode at the time but had long conversations about bream, tench and general fishing but let the moment pass without quizzing one of the best perch anglers alive.

John

Again, I'd start off by trying different depths. I've fished many rivers where the perch behave like you expect them to, and others where they don't - so I'd take nothing for granted when starting out!

Keep us posted John, I'd be very interested in how you get on and in particular how you end up fishing for them and what works. My Thames perching has been quite a frustrating affair with, so far, virtually nothing to show for it. I still haven't got the rigs working properly and I'm missing chances. I think I'm getting close to fishing effectively though, and hopefully the stillwater perching should help iron out the last few problems.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Again, I'd start off by trying different depths. I've fished many rivers where the perch behave like you expect them to, and others where they don't - so I'd take nothing for granted when starting out!

Keep us posted John, I'd be very interested in how you get on and in particular how you end up fishing for them and what works. My Thames perching has been quite a frustrating affair with, so far, virtually nothing to show for it. I still haven't got the rigs working properly and I'm missing chances. I think I'm getting close to fishing effectively though, and hopefully the stillwater perching should help iron out the last few problems.

Thanks again Anderoo.

Darrell (headless) and I have got some learning and lots of blank sessions to look forward too no doubt. We both really fancy the relief for both perch and zander but no one fishes it much at present and its weedy this time of year.

Ten mile bank or middle level seem better prospects at present so will probably start there. We know of some very quiet area's on ten mile bank where darrell had a 12lb zander last winter when we were together. No doubt he will be keen to try there again.

I promise to keep you in touch with my fishing there this autumn winter as I know you love the area too.

The pike anglers are bemoaning lack of fish the last few years on the whole area so we may be ok using fluorocarbon we will have to experiment.

Thanks again

John

Had plenty in bright sunshine middle of the day ,may be venue specific but it`s not just about dawn and dusk.

Fish lives in daylight and maybe you will get a bonus Zed ,mate of mine has had all his thames Zeds in bright sunshine despite fishing nights to....again may be venue or even area of river specific ,best of luck steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

The pike anglers are bemoaning lack of fish the last few years on the whole area so we may be ok using fluorocarbon we will have to experiment.

That's interesting. I have noticed - both in the Fens, and also now certain stretches of the Thames - that the total level of predation stays pretty stable, but the biomass of the certain species wax and wane over time. So the lack of pike could well indicate larger numbers of perch and/or zander.

That's interesting. I have noticed - both in the Fens, and also now certain stretches of the Thames - that the total level of predation stays pretty stable, but the biomass of the certain species wax and wane over time. So the lack of pike could well indicate larger numbers of perch and/or zander.

Interesting observation - the bit of the Thames I fished last night wasn't short of small pike, I had two, lost one and had another following, but I had no perch and the few I saw following were 4-6 inchers. That was on shads.