Big Roach, right on my door step

Andy_1984

7 years its been since the new part of canal was built. lock gates have only ever been opened a handfull of times and ive only just seen these monsters. they have certainly remained elusive for many years and its only a small bit of water but ive found shoals of anywhere up to 40 all about this size. its a wonder they managed to stay so secretive.

caught on drennan medium onion float, double maggot, size 20 spade end with 1.5lb maxima hook length, close to the bottom

409702_10151065269664584_1864664633_n.jpg

Edited by Andy_1984

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 years its been since the new part of canal was built. lock gates have only ever been opened a handfull of times and ive only just seen these monsters. they have certainly remained elusive for many years and its only a small bit of water but ive found shoals of anywhere up to 40 all about this size. its a wonder they managed to stay so secretive.

caught on drennan medium onion float, double maggot, size 20 spade end with 1.5lb maxima hook length, close to the bottom

480507_10151019207269584_1162587291_n.jpg

R u sure thats not your pond where you keep your beloved gudgeon :D

Klaus

R u sure thats not your pond where you keep your beloved gudgeon :D

Klaus

i wish i had a pond so big. also the gudgeon is dead :( sadly he stopped eating and nothing i could do i found him on his side under the filter gasping so i put him out of his misery.

caught on drennan medium onion float

Is that an original Drennan onion from the 70s, Andy? A medium onion was the first "proper" float I ever bought, back in the day.

Does anyone remember the Drennan Stabiliser from the same era? It came in 3 sizes up to 4BB, and had a body mounted halfway down the thin stem. Not seen one for donkey's years.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Is that an original Drennan onion from the 70s, Andy? A medium onion was the first "proper" float I ever bought, back in the day.

Does anyone remember the Drennan Stabiliser from the same era? It came in 3 sizes up to 4BB, and had a body mounted halfway down the thin stem. Not seen one for donkey's years.

i dont think its from the 70's its far too modern looking. its made of clear plastic top like most wagglers and very thin going down to a green body mounted on the bottom, a float adaptor is needed as it doesnt have a hole for line. fantastic little float, i bought it years ago and never used it until a few days ago. its so quite when it hits the water and holds up well in choppy water.

edit: first one pictured here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...LEMPQ0QW-74CQDg

Edited by Andy_1984

i dont think its from the 70's its far too modern looking. its made of clear plastic top like most wagglers and very thin going down to a green body mounted on the bottom, a float adaptor is needed as it doesnt have a hole for line. fantastic little float, i bought it years ago and never used it until a few days ago. its so quite when it hits the water and holds up well in choppy water.

edit: first one pictured here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...LEMPQ0QW-74CQDg

Same design, "modern" materials. The originals are painted black, with what I think were cane stems and expanded foam bodies. They were also loaded with a small piece of brass rod.

I've mislaid my vintage float stash - I'll post a pic of an original if I can find it.

Edit - Nice, mint condition fish, Andy. Looks like you're the first to catch it, mate.

Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Same design, "modern" materials. The originals are painted black, with what I think were cane stems and expanded foam bodies. They were also loaded with a small piece of brass rod.

I've mislaid my vintage float stash - I'll post a pic of an original if I can find it.

Edit - Nice, mint condition fish, Andy. Looks like you're the first to catch it, mate.

ooo think i have one of those floats, see attached pic. i found it in an old mans tackle shop, now shut down but it was a proper little Aladins cave of angling 'stuff'.

btw i think im the first to catch any big roach from here. theres a hell of a lot of virgin fish imo but a few are scabby looking due to jack attack. my kitchen window looks out on to the water so ive got full view of it and anyone fishing it are novice pike anglers spinning(smoke my fags out the window every hour or less).

most of them ive spoke to dont even have a trace. ive seen one pole angler fish it last week without success the only half decent angler since, well, ever :unsure: . i know where they roach hide now though :yeah:

post-7003-1343948794_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andy_1984

Looks like you could have some nice Roach fishing there.

I've been looking for some Onions on the web earlier this evening to replace the ones I have lost over the years and I found these ones which the maker calls 'Fliers'; they look similar to the Onions that I have in my box and which I bought in the 1990's

bodied-flier.png

They Also have 'Onions' but their Onions have fine inserts (see below)

onion.png

<For anyone who's looking for Onion's; I found them here>

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

So, when are you going to post the photo of the moment you stuck the snap tackle into it and launched it back in for a pike? :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE