PIKE OR ZANDER

cannibalspinners

Up here in Scotland ,I fish mainly for Pike ,Yes i know the odd water up here holds zander

but not too many & none local to me .

My question to all you guys who reguarly are lucky enough to fish for both

is what one is the best fighter ?

which one hits lures harder ?

which of the two is more aggresive ?

Also , Do zander take dead baits as regular as pike do ?

Thanks for taking time to read this

and even bigger thanks to anyone who replies

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

Up here in Scotland ,I fish mainly for Pike ,Yes i know the odd water up here holds zander

They are actually very similar, much more like each other than pike. I'd say perch are generally more aggressive and harder fighting, pound for pound. Neither seem to hit lures very hard, perch nip away at them and eventually grab hold (sometimes :rolleyes: ), zander can give very gentle takes, like a little 'donk' on the rod tip. Zander do take deadbaits like pike, usually fresh coarse fish but on some waters sea baits apparently work.

I find zander more interesting to fish for, but perch also remain one of my favourite species. I find both much more interesting than pike.

EDIT: fishing for zander is easier in one respect - they are almost always right on the bottom. Perch can be anywhere in the water column.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi

I think pike fight harder you don't see zander tail walking but I personally think zander are far more interesting than pike.

They are caught occasionally by accident but generally you have to target them in a proper manner and at night to catch regularly. This means putting a certain amount of effort in. the more effort required as in most things the more satisfying it is when you succeed.

Carp anglers often say to me how can I enjoy catching bream they don't fight like a carp does.

I normally reply by saying why are you here messing with carp then go and catch conger off a wreck somewhere if you want something to pull hard.

fishing is not really about how hard they pull.

I did not realise there were zander in scotland.

Both hit lures pretty well.

John

Oops, I misread this, I thought it was comparing zander with perch... :rolleyes:

Pike hit lures harder than zander, and fight harder.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Didn't know Scotland had zander. Which waters are they in?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

cannibal,

On this side of the pond we would consider walleye (zander) more of a warm water species. In cold water pike are tops but when the water becomes very warm (70F+) I'd say walleye probably prevail. I'd bet if your "odd" zander are in warmer shallower waters they will show nicely for themselves.

Forgive my geography. Is Scotland far enough North that the length of day affects/effects "fish participation"? Walleye, like warm long days over here. I've noticed many fish for zander at night. Walleye are a "gentleman's" daytime fish. There may be subtle genetic differences and profound angling differences between the two (zander - walleye).

Phone

Didn't know Scotland had zander. Which waters are they in

Not 100 % sure ,But i was told in some waters in the west of Scotland

Perhaps other members could help :)

Oh yes we have 4 water to my knowledge with a few Zander in them 2 i can mention are Loch Ness & loch Lomond

i have seen them caught at loch Ness 7lb and caught 1 in loch lomond 9lb also some one release 20 small Zander near your home town about 15 years ago

they were approx 1 lb in weight at the time

more than this i can not divulge ;)

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif