Hemp pellets

Sportsman

Sportsman,

I can't impress on you strongly enough - if you "must" catch fish on prepared corn how beneficial a pinch of sulphur (sulfur) is. Of course if you are going to ferment the corn you should add it after the process is complete. Really, in most cases boiled until the starch is softened is plenty.

A "pinch" is about right for 2kg of wet corn. Mix then fish in 24 hrs.

Phone

Edited by Phone

Hi Clive

I have found a store selling hemp at 26 euro for 20Kg, Terres & Eaux in Le Mans.

http://www.terreseteaux.com/

Problem is it is a 90K round trip so would cost more in fuel. It will have to wait until I am going that way.

I bought some layers pellets from Pointe Vert and couldn't get them to dissolve. They were like chips of stone. Maybe I should try somewhere else. I have also tried rabbit pellets and they turn to mush instantly so OK with groundbait, as are chick crumbs. I got 4Kg of wild bird food from our local Brico for 5Euro so will make up a spod(spomb) mix with that and some maize along with some ringers micro pellets that a mate brought back from the UK.

I have been invited to fish a private big carp water next week so looking for something to rise to the occasion. It would normally be fished with boilies over beds of pellets and I am wondering if a different approach might be more effective so may try method feeders over groundbait and particles and maize on the hook.

I will PM you later with the name of the layer's pellets I use. I got them from Charente Co-op. These dissolve within seconds of hitting the water. The only problem is that if there is any bream within a mile of them then they will come a running.

The other place for cheap pellets and boilies is Decathalon.

I have found a shoal of carp in a local lake that look to average over 20lb each. They are unmolested by other anglers fishing the lake and the problem is not them being tackle shy, but being bait naive. I have been putting in maize and chicken pellets every time I pass by and have fished it three times now. First time - one dropped run. Second time - one run - 22lb 9oz mirror. Third time (yesterday) - three dropped runs and one smash up on the take. I've been using maize hair rigged as there are no bream in that part of the lake. Yesterday I did get three bites on the boilies I've been putting in too. That was the plan. Get them initially feeding on maize and to introduce boilies and large pellets so that I can ring the changes.

Edited by Nicepix

Regards, Clive

I will PM you later with the name of the layer's pellets I use. I got them from Charente Co-op. These dissolve within seconds of hitting the water. The only problem is that if there is any bream within a mile of them then they will come a running.

The other place for cheap pellets and boilies is Decathalon.

I have found a shoal of carp in a local lake that look to average over 20lb each. They are unmolested by other anglers fishing the lake and the problem is not them being tackle shy, but being bait naive. I have been putting in maize and chicken pellets every time I pass by and have fished it three times now. First time - one dropped run. Second time - one run - 22lb 9oz mirror. Third time (yesterday) - three dropped runs and one smash up on the take. I've been using maize hair rigged as there are no bream in that part of the lake. Yesterday I did get three bites on the boilies I've been putting in too. That was the plan. Get them initially feeding on maize and to introduce boilies and large pellets so that I can ring the changes.

Hi Clive

I got some layers pellets from our local Super U supermarket yesterday at 7Euro for 10Kg. They dissolve very quickly so will be fine for bulking up the groundbait.

I now have quite a good assortment of small rapidly dissolving pellet. What I need now is some larger, slower dissolving pellet. It has been suggested that Frolic dog food works really well, popular with some of the French anglers.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I have just checked the bag I have and it is 'La Basse-Cour' - a yellow bag with 10kg of pellets in, so better value than I though. They will be a lot better than rabbit pellets as the latter contain almost 100% vegetation.

You might also like to have a look at Lidl as they have some small packets of four or five Chorizo type snacks at 99 cents. They are perfect for hair rigging and you can supplement them as loose feed with chopped samples from the bigger Chorizo sausages.

For glugs and flavourings Super-U have some fruit concentrates in the bakery aisle. The red fruit syrup is made up of strawberries and raspberies and is ideal for glugging the fruit type boilies. In the same place you will find Vanilla Sugar at about 99c for five satchets, it is a bit cheaper at Lidle. I use that in my maize after it has been simmered and going through the fermentation process. Vanilla is an important flavouring in the French roach groundbaits and carp seem to like it too.

Incidentally, when I went into the local tackle shop to buy some bait for barbel he wouldn't sell me any. He said the best bait for barbel in blue cheese paste that has gone off a bit. It reminded me of Dame Juliana Berners recommendation of cheese for barbel all those years ago.

p.s. Try some sheep or horse pellets. Not particularly attractive as a bait on their own, but the dissolve far more slowly than chicken pellets.

Edited by Nicepix

Regards, Clive

Nicepix, Sportsman,

Can you get a product called "range cubes"? Briefly, they are a used in the US extensively as feed supliments for cattle grazing (both beef and dairy). They come in a variaty of protein content up to about 30%. The higher the protein the better as far as I'm concerned. They are about 15mm in diameter and anywhere from 50 to 100mm long. They dissolve very slowly. Nearly as hard as a boilie but 1/100th the price. You can chuck them a mile. GREAT CHUM!

May I suggest, and my suggestions are worth what you pay - nothing, you give careful attention the protein content on the label for any feed grade pellets. Try, in the interest of the fish, to stay above 20%.

Phone

I rent a cottage on a working farm. They have sheep pellets, cattle pellets, soya flour, maize, milled maize and they have just filled the hoppers with wheat. The reason I use chicken pellets is because they are small enough to make the fish have to work for their food. It's the nibbles before dinner.

Regards, Clive