new line

wefish

what in your opinion is the correct way to transfer new line onto the reel

to avoid twist

thanks

I always get a helper to hold the spool facing the reel so that it coils line off the spool in the same direction as the reel winds it on.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

thankyou m8 i was watching a video on youtube by shimano and that showed using a pencil though the supply reel

and pulling line off

i think thats wrong

I don't know about that, but it's the way I was taught to do it, and I've never had a problem...

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

Wef,

Rarely will you have "help" when you want to respool line.

Old G. is right.

Thread the line through your rod, (I tie the line to the reel spool with a chinch knot)

Lay the new spool of fishing line on the floor. Position it so that it comes off the new spool exactly as it will go on to the spinning reel.

Secure the fishing line tightly with your free hand. Slowly turn the spinning reel with your other hand, making sure that the line winds on tightly (and as evenly as possible).

If you frequent a tackle shop - see if they'll recycle the old line. Fishing line is VERY high quality plastic and very useful in recycling other plastics.

Phone

Edit: I assume you are respooling a "fixed spool" spinning reel? (Some guys like to do the above from a bucket of water. It may help(?). I haven't done it that much to be able to say with confidence it would be helpful - maybe(?). You would still have the new spool and the spinning reel turn the same direction.)

Edited by Phone

There's a foolproof way to avoid twist. Thread the line through the butt section of a rod with the reel attached, with the spool of line on the floor. Wind some line on the reel, stop, let the line go slack. If it twists up, turn the spool of line the other way up :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music